Pratt & Whitney Model C 12x30 lathe

Your lathe looks absolutely spectacular. I have to wonder, did they ever look that good even when new? Just gorgeous.

-frank
Maybe not in terms of paint.

One of the things I've wondered about is what these things cost when they were new. I know a gentleman whose dad bought one new. He told me he remembered his dad telling him to be careful around that machine - it cost more than the house you're living in.

It's definitely something to aspire to. We'll see how far I end up taking mine.

Thanks man. Wow, you did a beautiful job on it! I'll definitely check out the resto. link. I might have some questions for you when I finally start digging in to it. I really like your splash guard/tool holder/light and had something similar in mind but I like yours better! I wish I had a steady rest too but I don't see much tooling for these very often if ever.
I would be glad to talk with you about your restoration and answer any questions that I can. As I mentioned, I love to talk about these machines. :)

Keep an eye out on eBay for the steady rest. That is where I found mine. They do show up once in a while. And you never know what might come out of these posts. I also found a set of metric change gears this way.

Hi @tailstock4 , what collets does your P&W c lathe use ? I will be in the market for some 4pn 's down the road .
Thanks , Mark .
I use a Hardinge Sjogren 5c speed-collet chuck. The 12C uses a D1-6 camlock spindle mount. It uses a spindle sleeve which is a #5 Morris taper to #3 Morris taper. It uses style A collets and B collets up to 1” with the appropriate draw in sleeve. The latter information I got from Pratt & Whitney’s Model C brochure under optional equipment.

Got around to looking at the motor placard yesterday. I'll eventually take it to a motor shop and have it checked/overhauled. Cool old motor. Didn't know Allis-Chalmers made electric motors. Can't wait to see this thing run.
20230121_111649.jpg

@tailstock4 Hey, I was wondering what oils you were using in the gear boxes? I think the new versions of what the manual calls for is mobil dte heavy medium iso 68 in the main sump and extra heavy iso 150 in the apron. I didn't see any capacities listed, do you remember how much it took of each? Also, does the apron oil lube the ways or is that done manually?

@tailstock4 Hey, I was wondering what oils you were using in the gear boxes? I think the new versions of what the manual calls for is mobil dte heavy medium iso 68 in the main sump and extra heavy iso 150 in the apron. I didn't see any capacities listed, do you remember how much it took of each? Also, does the apron oil lube the ways or is that done manually?

The headstock does take Mobil DTE heavy medium which is an ISO 68. This is the R&O stuff – not the hydraulic. The hydraulic version has anti-wear additives which can affect the performance of the clutch and brake a little bit. The feedbox has a small oil reservoir with a sight glass. It also uses this headstock oil.

The apron on the 12C uses ISO 68 Schaeffer 160 Moly slide and way lube. (https://www.schaefferoil.com/slide-way.html) I use this lube on the ways of every machine in the shop. It has tackifiers like the original way oils. It also has a little bit of molybdenum. There was a noticeable reduction in friction when I switched to this oil years ago. You can actually feel it in the hand wheels. The only negative is price, but it is far cheaper than rebuilds.

As for capacity, it seems like the headstock holds about 3.5 gallons. The apron is probably 1 or 2 quarts – best guess.

Back