Precision Matthews PM-728VT CNC conversion

Not sure how to upload the mesh files here. I have sent a DM with the link.

They look simple enough, no worries. What issue did you have on the X-? It looked like your old plate setup was legit, though this setup looks more like what I was considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our messages must have crossed; check my last prior message (#240) and check your DM inbox.

Yes, I used the DW-AS-502-M12 sensor, but the cable you link is too short IMO; of course it depends on where the control box is placed. For me 2m was barely enough, I got two longer ones.

As for the previous design, it placed the sensor on the saddle in a fixed location, making it harder to fine tune the limits of movement. The current version allows it to slide on the table. The second problem was that the sensor was facing up and chips were landing on it, and it got triggered a few times. The current design prevents that.

Last edited:
Is anyone running compressed air instead of a full on liquid lube/cooling system? I’ve had good success with the old wd40 on my previous mill, but I’ve been debating an air jet to blow chips away from the cutting, and discovered the fogbuster system as well. I may add a full on cooling system in the future, but looking for input on air options for now.

I am using this "el cheapo" unit from Amazon and very happy with it (if it ever breaks, cheap enough to just buy another). I also have a yellow "coil hose" with a little hand nozzle hooked to the table for manual chip blowing. My 16gal ShopVac is the main beast for chip cleanup of course. On the CNC Mini Mill I'm running full flood coolant. For that I'm using a 12v RC fuel pump to run coolant from a reservoir to the Loc-Line nozzle, this has worked flawlessly for the last 9-years.

1648555650875.png

Last edited:
I had bought a similar amazon nozzle but like the mist option, may snag that one. Thanks!

I am really torn about this. I have both, and the flood is very messy. Although the system is contained, and essentially leak free, it is still messy. So I reserve it for steel.
Stefan Gotteswinter mentioned in one of his videos that isopropyl alcohol helps give a great finish to aluminum, in addition to cooling. I have the Noga MC 17001 Mini Cool single nozzle system. My concern with the mist system is that one, you end up inhaling the product, and second, you have a potentially flammable vapor. Not sure if justified, but these concerns hold me back. Using the system with air alone is fine.

Last edited:
The Isopropyl Alcohol mist is a flash fire waiting to happen, I stayed away from that route, although I did try it at first and it worked quite well. Not worth the risk. BTW Alcohol burns with an invisible flame, so BEWARE!

The Isopropyl Alcohol mist is a flash fire waiting to happen, I stayed away from that route, although I did try it at first and it worked quite well. Not worth the risk. BTW Alcohol burns with an invisible flame, so BEWARE!
Ask Ricky Bobby about that.

Back