Precision Matthews PM-728VT CNC conversion

Let me ask your thoughts on fixture plates like the SMW https://saundersmachineworks.com/collections/smw-fixture-plates/products/precision-matthews-pm-728vt-aluminum-fixture-tooling-plate.

Should I go for a conventional 4” machine vise (ordered, but can cancel) or a fixture plate with their accessories and small vise? Thanks man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's a nice plate to have but it's something you can make yourself later on. I bought 2 5" vises and plan to make a plate similar to the one your referring to which I call "T" plate. I keep the vises on the machine and when I need the plate I use vises to secure it. Similar to this pic.
T-plate.PNG

I very much like the idea of making it later. What vise do you recommend, as a top of the line hobbyist item — I know it’s like asking about the tallest midget, but I am sure you get what I am saying.

I looked at the 4” Kurt but at $600 would definitely not be able to afford two. So two at around 250-300 would work with this plan.

I very much like the idea of making it later. What vise do you recommend, as a top of the line hobbyist item — I know it’s like asking about the tallest midget, but I am sure you get what I am saying.

I looked at the 4” Kurt but at $600 would definitely not be able to afford two. So two at around 250-300 would work with this plan.

You might want to check out the Glacern vises. I have a 4” on my mill and it’s really well done.

I purchased two 5" vises from Precision Matthews and are pretty decent. Not the top of the line but they work.
5 inch vise.PNG

I am very tempted to cancel my current vise order (backordered to 3/26) and get a Glacern 4" standard vise.

Question: if I want to add a second vise (to hold the fixture plate, for example, or long stock), should I order both upfront and ask Glacern to match their height? Or can I add hte second later and not worry about the possible height discrepancy?

Last edited:
Check out teco vises too. When I bought my 6" glacern, the teco was similarly priced, maybe a couple $$ cheaper, but I don't remember exactly. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the glacern, but when I bought my new mill, the seller gave me 2 teco vises with it. They are much bigger, beefier and heavier. I use all 3 just the same, but I prefer the teco.

Glacern is having a sale right now. 5% and 10% off. Just received an email from them.

Glacern is having a sale right now. 5% and 10% off. Just received an email from them.

I went on their website but didn’t see anything about the sale. Meanwhile MSC direct sells the 4 inch Kurt vise for about the same price [500 some dollars] so That’s what I’m going with. I had an order with Kurt themselves who are backordered until late March, while MSC had them in stock, so I switched the order.

Meanwhile I had emergency surgery last Monday and now I am convalescing at home, but can’t work in the garage and the project is on hold probably for as long as another week.

Last edited:
Got the Kurt DX4 and installed, and indicated it. Looks liek a fine piece of kit, although for the price I would have preferred an integral chip shield to protect the lead screw. The next step will be to fabricate a base for it.

What suggestions do you have in terms of anchoring to the concrete floor? This is a residential garage with a standard, non-tension concrete slab. What diameter screw to use? I am thinking of using 5/16" x 3" Tapcon screws from Home Depot, unless y'allz recommend otherwise.

Back