Pretty sure I needed a mill part 1

Yep, 30 plus years. Self moving a bit at a time to the new place 2 hours away. There are days when a gallon of gas and a match seem like a better option :) Thanks for the welcome!

Steve
I dunno Steve, gas is expensive right now. Maybe just some old newspapers. ;)

Still struggling how to answer the reoccurring question "What are you going to do with it" Learning something new and fun is certainly at the heart of it though!
So, in my case that question usually comes from the wife... I've discovered that fixing something for her is the best way to answer that question. When something of hers is broken, seize that opportunity!
Small broken steel hinge on the old cabinet. Crack out the welder and belt grinder.
Busted little doo-dad from something, mill a new one.
Pretty soon she stops asking about 'All those tools'. Eventually she even thinks the brand new welder or mill (or whatever) you're looking at is a good idea... ;)

Anyway, chuckling at you retired guys buying these RF mills. I did it backwards. The very first thing I bought myself after getting my first paycheck from my first job after college was a RF-29.

Dan

So, in my case that question usually comes from the wife... I've discovered that fixing something for her is the best way to answer that question. When something of hers is broken, seize that opportunity!
The wife is pretty good about keeping me on top of things that need fixing:)
Much to her credit she just shakes her head and smiles when I launch into a new hobby.
For some reason she is intrigued by the steel table that came along for the ride and maybe a little interested in where this is going.

steve

Did someone say Pictures?
CAAFDD79-D503-45C6-BD37-02124441AFDD.jpeg
The complex machine did make its way into a garage last week, bit of an ordeal but out of the weather and on a cart.AEAFD60C-C2A0-4284-8E45-64B37888FDC7.jpeg

more to come!

I have the same manual. Mines like an 80s photocopy. If you need a new manual the grizzly 4000 is the same mill but is a way better manual.

I have the same manual. Mines like an 80s photocopy. If you need a new manual the grizzly 4000 is the same mill but is a way better manual.
will take a look at the grizzly manual. This one is a little thin on details

Last edited:
I have had my mill since 06. Only thing it has done to me was the r8 guide screw turned. Jammed A collet in the quill. I took the quill out which is surprisingly easy to do. And removed the tiny screw that is used as a guide. Repacked the bearings on putting it back together. Been good ever since With out the guide screw.

PART II
starts out with lesson one, should have rented a trailer!
38” truck bed height plus mill height of 45” on 2x6’s. She’s not coming out with an engine hoist.
Due to liability issues I neglected to document to unloading process.
Cart has 5” castors rated at something like 1600 lbs. Pushes around easily

E549BB2E-B201-4279-85A3-9D5A16EF7BE0.jpeg

Last edited:
Cleaned a few spots with WD-40, pretty sure the coating is dust and factory goop 8D549555-5350-44AF-9A9D-EFAC6CFCA581.jpeg

AFF8D9D8-332C-404B-91B9-CB0C4509619F.jpeg

Back