Prototype help needed for a hyperbaric pin

silverforgestudio

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
So the background do you know where Im coming from...

Being a paramedic in my "real" job, I have a general knowledge of medicine... I also do not work 911- I started there many years ago... but evolved into an interfacility transport guy (Im the dude who picks up from the ICU or Cath Lab at small hospitals and takes you to the big hospitals). So I am exposed to a large number of hospitals and other specialty care medicine centers.

I have been engaged by a friend in a local facility to come up with a solution for a problem their hyperbaric chamber has- replacing a plastic pin for IV lines that goes through the chamber wall.

I have the idea- I have a wooden proof of concept, I have the specs and even the materials.... BUT- I lack the machining equipment to make this happen.

It is a tight tolerance , involves O-ring seals, and a wierd 6% (not 6 deg) taper...

Anyone have a few minutes to chat and get a chuckle out of the naieve chutzpah of the dreamer?

Thanks for reading and I hope all are enjoying the weekend!

I wish I could help you but I'm too far away, I'd like to try a hyperbaric treatment once, just for fun,

Can't believe no one else has chimed in.
I would love to help but I know there are other guys on here that have serious skillz compared to my butcher abilities.

I do know a thing or two about o-rings though because I have seen a thing or two.

Parker probably has a design and engineering book available for o-rings. We had on at the shop I worked at.

Yep, they sure do. Available for download.

5700 is the number of the catalog.

Last edited:
I messaged him but i wasnt sure how big the part was going to be. I only have a watchmakers lathe at my disposal right now so i cant do much.

Figured message first instead of commenting on here.

Vacuum and low pressure chambers are something I make and work on fairly often at work. Send me a message to let me know how I can help.
20200204_152540.jpg
20200312_173344.jpg
20200305_151951.jpg

Folks- I thank you for the responses- I have a better idea of the actual part now and the scope of this endeavor. I actually posted the request then went to a meeting with the 3 folks Im trying to help with this.

Here's a picture so you can get a visual:
30397.jpeg
30397.jpeg

Its got to be pressure sealed to 48psi (roughly 3.1 standard atmospheres)... this chamber rarely goes above 29-32 psi so 48 is "Max Failure point"

I wish I could help you but I'm too far away, I'd like to try a hyperbaric treatment once, just for fun,
Its pretty cool- actually. I couldnt afford it myself- but I was able to accompany a patient in a large chamber for a 1.5 ATA dive- hyper oxygenated and felt really good for about 48 hours- many of the NFL teams use them for recovery training. There are "private" clinics in a lot of areas that offer it as a rejuvenation therapy.

And heck- Montana isnt far- the mail reaches there! HA!

Can't believe no one else has chimed in.
I would love to help but I know there are other guys on here that have serious skillz compared to my butcher abilities.

I do know a thing or two about o-rings though because I have seen a thing or two.
7miles- Butcher abilities are still better than my capacity to do nothing my friend! I appreciate any input- Are you commercial or private for the picture?

Parker probably has a design and engineering book available for o-rings. We had on at the shop I worked at.
JCP- thanks my friend! The O ring book you mention I am going to have to look into- Thank you for that resource!

Vacuum and low pressure chambers are something I make and work on fairly often at work. Send me a message to let me know how I can help.
Thanks Alexander- I will be reaching out for sure! It will be tomorrow as I am in between dad duties and tuck-ins and laundry tonight!

Folks- thanks for the resources offered and I am looking forward to moving on this- I will reach out tomorrow! Be safe and as always- at peace.

Last edited:
I do not have permission to view your pic.

Back