Queen City Shaper for sale - hmmmmm?

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
Guys,

This came up on CL last night in Omaha, NE. (I posted the CL ad in the "For Sale" section if you are interested. I did ask for a picture of the shaper to help identify it. Now I know the make but nothing more. It looks a little large for what I had in mind but he is talking about scrapping this stuff if it isn't sold. :( Here is the pic of the shaper.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it to drag this out of a barn or where ever it is? Too big maybe?

Oh, while I'm at it, check out the machine to the right. Don't know what it is but what is with the T-slot being angled like that?

-Ron

Don't let him scrap it.

That t-slot is angled to pull an accessory in that direction and down to the table. The front edge of the table should be angled to pull in and down also. You'll see grinders set up like that at times.

It's hard to tell how big it is from the picture. Did they just make the 20" version. You do know we'd all hate your guts if you got that baby into your shop, right. :drool: Isn't that reason enough to get it? Is that the one someone referred to on another forum that was listed on eBay for $150?

I didn't think I had room in my shop for a shaper, but she's in there, with enough room to work with it.

You know you could use it as a mill till yopu get a real one. It won't do a lot of things a mill will bt then it will do things a mill won't do. Think internal key ways and other things. Wasn't you trying to figure out how to do a key way not to long ago.

But then it mite have been someone else.

Paul

you need a shaper, you need a shaper, you need a shaper:biggrin:

No, it's not the other one that was listed for $150. I think that one was up in the north-east somewhere.

Okay, think I'm going to follow up on this and see what happens. Any comments on what it may be worth???

Moving that little beast could be interesting....

Heck, truthfully (this is the "sickness" part), my gut instinct is to walk out of there with everything he's got. I just have to keep repeating, I will not, I will not, ..... :biggrin:

Stuff looks like it's in decent shape for being in a barn (guessing there) - http://omaha.craigslist.org/tls/2787847155.html Don't be shy guys. I won't be taking all his stuff so if anyone else is interested feel free to go ahead.

-Ron

If he was talking about having to scrap it, and telling you about that, he wants someone to take it off his hands. You are in a good position. Offer a bit more than scrap price.

BTW, the tool mounted in it now is for cutting keyways and splines.

Looks like we are making a deal on a shaper. He says he would like to get about $250. While not unreasonable, I'm a little concerned what it's going to cost me to get it out of where ever it's at. Just how heavy is this thing? I can't find a whole lot out about it on the 'net. I saw one over on PM but it looks quite a bit larger than this one (could just be the pic and angles but I don't think so). Any suggestions on how to get this in the back of a truck? Should I plan on renting a trailer (a trailer is very dangerous as other toys may "follow me home" on one :p). Either way, what am I going to need to move/load this thing? Sheesh, just one more problem after another. :biggrin:

-Ron

Again another one 3 million miles from here $250 sob sob didnt anybody use a shaper in R.I. or something.

Ron if we knew how and where it was located in the barn we mite be able to tell you how. Is it close to a door, around a corner? Concrete or dirt floor? If it is crete you could roll it on 1" pipe If it is dirt you mite be able to use some plywood and still use pipes.

I moved my 12" Hendey Shaper on pipes was a pretty easy task.

Paul

I found one reference to a QC shaper called a "Super Twenty", I believe. Estimated weight, 3900 lbs.. That won't be easy to handle manually, but with enough planning and some hardware, you should be able to manage. If it's in a barn, it's on a farm. Does he have a tractor? Shapers are almost indestructible, but you still wouldn't want to turn it over or anything. Don't raise it any higher than needed. A lift bar and some blocks, a few rods or pipes and if you have to, you can drag it out with a Come-Along. The Main Event will be getting it up on the trailer. You can make that a little easier by elevating the front of the trailer, thus lowering the back. Provide secure blocking for the back edge of the trailer so that when the weight gets on it, it won't try to lift the front. Patience and power can get it done. Just think it through before you begin, and have an escape route for yourself so if it does get away....you can too.

Last edited:
Back