Queen City Shaper for sale - hmmmmm?

Any body know the title of this song been rattlin in my head "some guys have all the luck" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

still find it strange you must have a freind of a freind thats got a backhoe. Oh well I drew up most of my plans,
got most steel and gears, im going to try a lathe compound rest for a clapper and I settled on a 20" sp

Any body know the title of this song been rattlin in my head "some guys have all the luck" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

still find it strange you must have a freind of a freind thats got a backhoe. Oh well I drew up most of my plans,
got most steel and gears, im going to try a lathe compound rest for a clapper and I settled on a 20" sp

At the moment I'm debating whether it's "luck" or a curse. :thinking: :biggrin: If it's luck, I was long over-due, curse, that'd be par for the course. :p

As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone that's even related to anyone that knows someone who has a backhoe. Once Monday rolls around I'm thinking that I can hit a rental place that has a forklift. That'll actually kill two birds with one stone as my "shop" is a garage stall at my office building and I have two pallets of used brick taking up a lot of space in there. With a forklift I can move the pallets out in to the parking lot (I'll figure out how to dispose of later) and make room for the new toys.

I did take some time to re-rig the machines in the back of the truck. I had one real exciting moment when I was making a sharp turn (slowly) in a parking lot and hit a pothole. One tie-down slipped and in the rear view mirror I saw one side of the shaper lift up about 5" before slamming back down. :faint: That'll wake you up quick! A couple more days of defensive/tense driving and things will hopefully be back to "normal".

Anyone have ideas for where to look for more information on the Queen City shaper and LeBlond grinder? I've gotten on the yahoo group for the grinder but there's scant information there. The QC shaper is a bit of an enigma as well. I've found a couple columns/references in old journals and magazines on Google Books but nothing to really build on. I even checked online with the Library of Congress but still came up with zilch. Searched on Abe Books for old books, magazines etc. and found little to do with them. Lots of internet searches producing a lot of worthless leads, especially on "Queen City". Any other resources I should check out?

-Ron

Ron, when you move the bricks outside, put a sign on each pallet, "Free BBQ Kit. You Pick."

I chunk here is gone but might as well pick it up a bit. :biggrin:

Had an exciting day today as I rented a nice little forklift (I gotta get me one of those things. :thumbzup:) and moved the machines from the back of my truck kind of into my garage/shop space. "Kind of?", you may ask. Well, therein is the story. After taking delivery of the forklift I moved some things around in order to reach three palettes of brick that are in the back of my space (long story not real important). Got everything out of the way, great, then hopped on and fired up the forklift. As I was approaching the garage door a little detail came to my attention that would turn this in to more of a job than I had figured on - the forklift was too tall to get into the garage! Most of you are probably saying, "Well yeah, duh!" but it's been a long time since I was last around one so.... :p

Anyway, things got a little interesting. I ended up using the 40' tow strap that I keep in my truck to wrap around the base of each palette then pull my truck up to the garage door opening and drag the palette flush with the door. The forklift worked perfectly from that point on. Getting the grinder off the truck wasn't too bad as it was towards the back of the bed anyway. I strategically wrapped the same tow strap securely around the grinder and slick as a whistle it was done. Have I mentioned that I love my tow strap? :biggrin: The shaper was a bit more problematic as it was right up next to the cab in a full length bed. I ended up using the forklift from the side, and once again creatively arranged the tow strap around the shaper, then lifted the shaper. With the tailgate down I drove the truck out from underneath the shaper and all was good.

There was a little "excitement" as I went to put the shaper in the mouth of the garage. Running lengthwise to the garage face the parking lot is kind of a shallow "V" shape for directing drainage (or just a poor job of laying of asphalt) which required me to run downhill into the "V". I didn't have the shaper high enough and the edge caught on the rise of the "V". This pulled one side of the tow strap off of it's fork causing the shaper to drop 6" or so. One corner hit first and then it did that slow-motion "rocking" thing where you don't know if it'll go over on it's side or not. A couple of skipped heartbeats later is settled down without any damage that I could discern. Re-did the rigging and set it down just inside the garage door.

Now I have a little time to acquire a shop lift to further move things around. Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow to go over them a bit better now.

-Ron

Now the fun begins, Ron. If you had set the machines on pipes or rods you could just push them around by hand. But now you get to start the teardown and evaluation process. Pick the one that looks easiest first, so you get to make progress quickly, and see rewarding results.

Thanks for mentioning the pipes Tony, I may have to resort to them yet as it may be a while before I can get my hands on a shop lift. With the liberal use of a crowbar and a scissor jack it would be easy enough to add the pipes at any time. One thing that I'm not sure of with the pipes though and that is trying to turn/re-orient the shaper in such a short space. :thinking: Never tried the "pipes" method for "spinning" something so I'm not sure it would even be possible.

Any thoughts on this?

-Ron

P.S. Headed out to the garage/shop to take some detail pics right now. :biggrin: Will add to this later.

Ron
Just lay some pipes on a angle to turn the machine. If you don't have enough room once there on the angled pipes use a bar to slide them on the pipes.

I move my Hendey shaper and 2 mills like that because my fork lift won't get in the door either. Rolled the mill 25 ft that way.

Paul

Hi Ron,

good snag on equipment. the pipes and/or rods work well. get several (4-5) and make a little wider than widest machine base. get extra set hands to push and keep transferring pipes as you go. Angle pipes for turning machines. with extra help you will be surprised how easily you can manipulate the machines

David

Ron,

I've moved my shop twice. The first time I was lucky to have a fork lift and truck at my disposal but the second time all I had was a flat bed trailer. I fashioned a ramp up to the trailer out of several sheets of plywood supported underneath by 4x4's and rolled the machinery (Hardinge lathe and Bridgeport type mill) on pipe and steel bars using a hand winch to move them up and down the ramp. I worked alone so I could concentrate and so I wouldn't need to worry about someone else getting hurt. It took some time but went quite smoothly. You'll need a pinch bar of some sort to lift the machine plus a number of pieces of thin plywood or hardboard to use as shims. It also helps to use plywood or hardboard under the pipe if the surface is rough. Just work slowly and don't get into a situation where you could get hurt if things get out of hand.

Good luck!

Tom

Back