Queen City Shaper for sale - hmmmmm?

Thanks guys. Sounds like it should be fairly doable. I don't tend to have any help when I am doing things like this so I do move very slowly and deliberately in order to remain safe. Still have all my fingers and limbs so far! :biggrin:

Here are some more pics I took of the machines...

Can I assume that the shaper is a 16"?
Can I assume that this was converted from some other power source, steam maybe? Looks like this gearbox is used to shift speeds instead of the stepped pulley. Any thoughts on this?
Looking at the motor plate looks like it's single phase and 115/230 volts. I'd assume it's wired for 230 at the moment.
The LeBlond is getting interesting. You'll notice that there was another "tailstock" in the cabinet. More things to learn about the grinder than I figured at first. The angled "T" slot is the one that the head/tail stocks attach to. The runs themselves are two piece and can actually pivot. Those top two knurled screws on either side are the micro-adjusters as I figure it. The lower two are micro-adjust stops.
n this shot you can better see that the ways are not solid. They pivot on the center and are supported on the ends.Finally, a decent shot of the head/tail stocks. There are still what looks like centers and misc. stuff in the cabinet that I didn't have time to go through.
-Ron

I chunk here is gone but might as well pick it up a bit. :biggrin:

Had an exciting day today as I rented a nice little forklift (I gotta get me one of those things. :thumbzup:) and moved the machines from the back of my truck kind of into my garage/shop space.
-Ron

You want to be careful about getting a fork lift of your own. You will discover that it will make the "old iron addiction" worst and that it will also attract friends with similar illness.

Benny

I forgot to attach a link for some cold weather reading materials. This is a great site for shaper info. http://www.neme-s.org/Shaper Books/shaper_book_page.htm

That is a great shaper and tool grinder, good rescue.

One of the best oils I have found for old iron that has not been stored correctly is one call "Kroil". I have used it and with patience it will save you from broken and damage parts.

Benny

You want to be careful about getting a fork lift of your own. You will discover that it will make the "old iron addiction" worst and that it will also attract friends with similar illness.

Benny

I forgot to attach a link for some cold weather reading materials. This is a great site for shaper info. http://www.neme-s.org/Shaper Books/shaper_book_page.htm

That is a great shaper and tool grinder, good rescue.

One of the best oils I have found for old iron that has not been stored correctly is one call "Kroil". I have used it and with patience it will save you from broken and damage parts.

Benny

Benny, thanks for the link. I'm trying to dig up all the information I can on these things as ever bit helps. Still hunting for the "holy grail" though, actual information on Queen City shapers. :p I am so glad you also mentioned Kroil I hadn't even thought to pick some up but that would be perfect. I used some light spindle oil that I had on hand to loosen some things up a bit but tomorrow I will make a pilgrimage to the hardware store for some Kroil. :thumbzup:

-Ron

I also have used Kroil in the past, I have never came across it in local stores, alway had to order factory direct.
They ship it in spray cans that I find they crap out around the half way mark. Price per gallow to expensive. And
then my to boys or renagades use it like water, so I went to 1qt ATF to 1qt acetone way cheaper works as good
and doesnt stink like Kroil. My opinion no snake oil can replace heat.

I've heard that ATF and acetone makes the best penetrant but I've never tried it myself. Worth considering.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Kroil on the shelf around herein pints, just need to remember where. (The mind is the first thing to go, right? :p) My son isn't quite to the age where he is sniping my tools and supplies though, so I'm safe for a couple more years anyway. :biggrin:

-Ron

I've heard that ATF and acetone makes the best penetrant but I've never tried it myself. Worth considering.......I'm pretty sure I've seen Kroil on the shelf around herein pints, just need to remember where. -Ron

They ship it in spray cans that I find they crap out around the half way mark. Price per gallow to expensive.

I have not used the ATF & Acetone so can't comment on how it works. I first discovered Kroil at work and have since used it on an old Manley press that I found setting in a scrap yard with a part of a tree that had grown up thru it still in place . Using Kroil I was able to remove bolts from the old press where the nuts and threads had rusted to the point there were large pits in them. Broke no bolts except for some of the smaller (1/4") ones used on a oil tank.

Around here Ace Hardware carries Kroil in the spray can. GK1918 is correct, Kroil is not cheap and buying it in spray cans is the most expensive way to purchase it. I noticed that it was made in Nashville which is not far away. I purchased a gallon the next time I was there. It was not cheap but not much more than a gallon of WD40. I got a few of the little rechargable spray containers from Harbor Freight and keep them full and ready.

Benny

I'll be picking up a bunch of chemicals so it might depend on what's on the shelf at the time (I hate going to stores). I need a number of gallons of Evapo-rust, for obvious reasons, as well as some paint stripper and probably a big plastic trash can to make an Evapo-rust "dip", a big one. :biggrin:

-Ron

Back