Question Lathe "Boring bars"

@twhite - for those boring bars on the right: does the head screw into the shank? (it sounds like it does).

I'd think it would highly depend on what your type of work is. For me: I rarely need to hit oddball bores QUOTE]

Yes they do.

Cutting oil is my blood.

A few other shop made boring bars
7f926983d45ae06513f10a0ccaeb5a92.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

I made up many of these bars made of Tungsten , and steel filled with lead shot . It helped with chatter . We were developing a munition and the original design was damn near unobtainable . I suggested to thread the Tungsten penetrators and the Sabots for an exact fit . They bought it , and we did it . Once they saw how easy it was to set the distance they needed where the 2 met , it was a nice production job for me on the CNC Makino . I did get a very small amount of money from them for the suggestion but not much . :grin: I used Tungsten bars for the job with no issues and the Sabots were approx. 6" long .

Someone on here bought some of unfinished penetrators and machined them into darts . I guess it worked out .

Tungsten bars are really nice- all that density plus Newton's third law really works!

Sounds like you're talking about the 120mm AP antitank penetrator. These fawkers will make your shoulders strong if you use them for your morning PT doing overhead press... It was a Ft. Knox thing, armor, cavalry, and the tip of the spear.

120mm_M829A2_APFSDS-T.jpg

We made a run of 10, 000 which went to China I believe back in the 80s . :grin:

You! You're the reason the Chinese Type 99 Main Battle Tank is a knockoff clone (in true Chinese manufacturing flair) of America's M1 Abrams.

I always thought it looked like we made it for them. Maybe <ahem!> we did?

type_99_mbt_front_left_0.jpg

Back