Questions about band saw blades...

The upper one is carbon steel.

Attachments

• 20220212_164640.jpg
    20220212_164640.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 130
That sounds like the size. I count 11 TPI standard bimetal teeth.
The electric coolant pump and air solenoid both come on/off with the saw. I replaced the 3 phase motor with a single phase 3/4 HP.
I replaced all the guide bearings when I first got it and adjusted it well so it cuts straight in 2 directions. They are great saws!
Aaron

I think right now I'm running a ¾" 10 TPI carbon steel blade on my model J... it's been on a couple of years.

The coolant system was removed from my saw before I bought it, so I just squirt a little oil on occasionally...

It's a great saw... but the hinge is worn and a little loose on mine. I've been thinking about how I might machine it for bushings to tighten it up... but it still cuts straight, so it's not a priority.

-Bear

I've been buying blades for this and 2 portabands from LA Cutting Products. They seem to be very good blades at a reasonable price.
Aaron

The labels on the boxes show 24 teeth per inch with raker teeth. Given they are only .025 thick and 1/2" wide I believe they would be better suited for a contour saw. The rule of thumb for the number of teeth in contact with the material is a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 24. That would limit their practical use to stock less than 1' wide. While I'm sure you can stretch the envelope, you'll probably have to babysit the saw to avoid problems with the gullets loading and either jamming in the kerf or breaking the blade.

I'm not familiar with your particular saw, but many horizontal saws have a lip on the back edge of the band wheels. The blade is aligned to the lip for proper positioning. If the blade doesn't extend beyond the front of the wheel the teeth may rub and either take the set out of the teeth or damage the wheels. This may not be a problem if your wheels have rubber tires.

In all likelihood a new set of guide rollers will be close to the cost of a new blade, and you'll still have problems with stock over 1" in diameter or width. Like most others I get between 2 and 4 years on a blade (I use bimetal blades) depending on the frequency of use and type of material being cut.

I recently purchased a Kysor Johnson model J band saw.
It has a 1" x .038 blade on it.
I have three full 100' rolls of bulk metal cutting blade here that I don't need for anything else. Two rolls are 1/2" x.025, one is 5/8 x .032
Have an old Grob blade welder that does a nice job on 1/2" and might? weld the 5/8" blade if I push it a bit.
I was thinking about buying a set of narrower guide rollers for the saw and using some of this bulk blade.
Is this idea worth pursuing?
Thanks
Did you get that at the auction just recently?

Oh yes. I thought about the bandsaw you bought but since I was not able to view anything I decided not to. Many things I was comfortable about bidding on though but the prices are just ridiculous imo. Also I believe there is a lot of shill bidding going on.

Back