Questions About My New/old Lathe.

Of course I have more questions now. :)

If the gears were stripped by putting the lathe in back gear while it was running can I assume that wouldn't damage the spindle?

If the chunks knocked out of the compound rest (shown in the last picture) were caused by the chuck jaws then I'm assuming the chuck and spindle may possibly have been damaged. That right?

If the chunks were knocked out by an armature or some other work I guess I can't assume any other damage one way or the other. I'll have to check the chuck and spindle for being true either way.

I guess I'll put the replacement parts on and get the lathe running to see how she works and go from there.

I'd imagine it'll be just fine. The crash into the compound probably didn't do the chuck any favours but the spindle should be fine - just think about the hammering the lathe gets on interrupted cuts. Not quite the same obviously and testing will tell, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

if you want some inspiration, I'll be posting up some pics of a 7301 I've just finished refurbishing. Jim Dawson gave it to me at the beginning of the year after one of his clients threw it out - it's quite astonishing the difference between then and now. Just have to finish mounting a newly made handle to the cross slide and it's ready to be crated up and shipped to my cousin-in-law in Virginia :)

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Inspiration is good.

Did you look at the bull gear I posted the link to? Any comments? Looks good to me but what do I know?

I'm sure it's the right one but I was wondering more about condition. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

It looks like the corner of one tooth is either dirty or chipped but if it's chipped I don't think it will make any difference ... or will it?

Half nuts,
I purchased all new half nuts when I re-did the gib screws with capped Allen screws ..was disappointed to find that all the half nuts had the shoulder ground away and that my socket spanner had a rounded out lead in , same with the ring spanner ( aka Wrench ) .

In the end I ground the champher off the socket and the lead in on the ring spanner as well . To try and get a better fit on the half nut but the rounded shoulder on the half nuts still gave problems because the actual milled part of the slide where the threaded hole is made was not quite in far enough to clear the rest of the casings on several screws , maybe if I'd had a real thin hollow box spanner it would have been OK .

I solved it by purchasing all new precision full nuts and then putting them on threaded rod . Held the rod in a collet & turned off the rounded shoulders on both side ..result half nuts with a real clean sharp form and enough meat for me to use my ground down socket & spanner to tighten them. In fact the nuts are a tad thicker than half nuts because I made the capped screws a tad longer .

Occasionally the compound gib screw nearest the handle clashed with the tailstock ..so I ground out the offending bit on the tail stock , as there is no way I'll ever go back to having gib screws that need a screwdriver to adjust them .
I do believe that you can get high tensile hollow NF Allen machine screws but I haven't / can't find any in Great Britain just yet ..

David, that's some confusing terminology you're using there. Half nuts on a lathe are the 2 opposing threaded nuts in the carriage that engage the leadscrew for threading/ power feed. The ones you're talking about are the thin jam nuts on the gib screws, right? You can make both of those yourself really easily from standard screws and nuts.

I always thought that was a split nut? As a machine repair guy, a half nut is a nut that is cut down for clearance to another part of the machine. usually it is cut down to half the original size which requires a thinner wrench than normal hence the term "half nut". I would also say that there is a half nut on a gib screw as they are thinner than usual. I agree terminology is important, but it can be different across the trades. As a maintenance man, the device with a handle-ratchet-chain for pulling things is called a "come along". When I was a Telco lineman it was called a" jack". The first time I was told to get a "Jack, strap, and come along" I was confused, and the older guys had a laugh out of it. To them, a " jack"
was the thing with the chain, a "strap" is a lifting(or pulling) continuous nylon belt, and a "come along" is a clamp that attaches to a wire cable. So, i guess it changes with the industry.

In most industries, and in most catalogs, the thin pattern nuts are called "jam nuts". Until this thread, I couldn't have name any that didn't. And most vendors call the two-piece nut that couples the carriage to the lead screw "half nuts". However, some do call them split nuts and I would guess that most people who have seen more than one or two lathes would recognize both terms.

Some cops may have something that they call a "comealong". But at least in the South, the term usually means a self-contained lever and ratchet operated small winch. I have also heard this called a "coffin horse".

Back