Quiet Clausing 13" lathe

As far as I know any CC made will have hardened gears. I know they started using Taiwanese castings at some point but doubt any other parts by then. On that note, I have a 1987 100% Taiwan made mill that is every bit as well made as a Bridgeport. Years and geographic origins are not reliable indicators of a machines quality, Brand/model reputation are better and of course the physical condition of the individual machine. Be careful buying machines off of eBay, only buy if the seller offers 100% refund and you are going to inspect the machine in person, before you have it shipped to you.

Years and geographic origins are not reliable indicators of a machines quality, Brand/model reputation are better and of course the physical condition of the individual machine. Be careful buying machines off of eBay, only buy if the seller offers 100% refund and you are going to inspect the machine in person, before you have it shipped to you.

The Practical Machinist website had a thread regarding the Colchesters that I found after I posted. It mainly explained how they gradually moved from using imported parts, etc., etc., so that by 2002 entire machines were being imported.
The web site www.lathes.co.uk explained that the (Colchester) Model Master 2500, which I looked up, had the head gears which took the most stress hardened, but not all of them--which helps shows how complicated this matter can get.

I appreciate your buying tips. I definitely intend to inspect before buying. From what I have seen, return options are, perhaps understandably, seldom generous, but it doesn't hurt to ask--and to get it in writing! : ) One detail is that most of the companies selling are third parties who, as you may know, may know little about the machinery they are selling. It also seems the offerings of such parties are mostly stripped of extra chucks and rests. A 100% satisfaction guarantee would be nice. But to be realistic, if I saw something nice at an auction, I'd probably buy it, if it looked promising. : )

Cheers,
Bill_729

I can't figure out why the first one, which is only 3 HP, is $8500 while the second one (5 HP) is $4950. The 2nd seems more reasonable, if not necessarily configured in an optimal way for me.

The 2nd one is "halfway across the country from me", or I'd perhaps give it further consideration. It won't hurt my feelings if anyone wants to act on either of these! : )

Bill_729

Prices are region specific as well. Supply and demand I suppose. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a machine within an hour of you, that would meet your requirements Bill. Indianapolis is large enough to have job shops closing their doors fairly regularly. In my own area, I found an entire shop for sale for 4500 dollars. Granted, the machines are smaller than you're wanting. But if it can happen here in BFE, there's no reason it can't happen in Indianapolis, on a larger scale.

I've been following this thread with interest. I own a Clausing Colchester 15. It has a 7.5 HP 3 phase motor a 50" bed and is in very good shape.
I am a hobby guy, not many of us go with this size lathe. Yes it's an industrial machine and I was fortunate to find one in good shape.
I don't care what the old poops on PM say, these are very well made machines. I'm going to have this lathe for many years to come.
I do need a steady rest though. That may be a bit challenging. As my skill improves I may get some help from some friends and make one.

I do need a steady rest though. That may be a bit challenging. As my skill improves I may get some help from some friends and make one.

Do you have a milling machine? It seems like a good (moderately challenging) project to me (who still lacks a lathe). It's not like you are threading a tapered spindle (which I would classify as "challenging"!).
As something of a "professional problem solver", I offer the simple wisdom of breaking the problem down into steps. Start by looking at examples and then make a drawing. Think hard about where parts connect (back to those examples). Consider making a prototype out of wood. Worst case scenario, start over?

Sure, if we could make a casting, we would. But I can't see a reason to let that stand in our way.
My thought is to bore the circular opening by attaching the stuff to a face plate. If that configuration doesn't fit the lathe, I can't see why you can't create the base and the "business part" separately, and bolt or weld them together afterwards.

Anyone who knows what they are doing, or others like me, feel free to help us out! :)

Bill_729

I don't care what the old poops on PM say, these are very well made machines. I'm going to have this lathe for many years to come.

Totally agree, in fact most of the articles on the Clausing Colchester (even some on PM) praise its accuracy, durability, etc.

Another strategy, the one I'm planning, is to get a steady rest from a different lathe and machine it to fit or make an adaptor. "Unknown" steady rests are much cheaper on eBay et al...

Bill, yes, I have a good mill. Sharp TMV, 3HP full size knee mill in good shape.
I also agree about taking the project by steps. I have access to some very talented guys in our local hobby group.
I thought about trying to find one that I could adapt.
There is a machinery dealer in Sacramento. I call them from time to time looking for a steady from a parts machine.
I haven't needed one yet but one day it will be a good project. I think a follow rest would be a good place to start. Simpler design imho.

I haven't needed one yet but one day it will be a good project. I think a follow rest would be a good place to start. Simpler design imho.

Seems like if you wait for the need to arise then you have waited too long!
I would have guessed that the steady rest might be simpler to make than the follow rest, but don't really know.
I am eager for you to get going on it, so you can share some of the details of your experience! :D

Bill_729

Back