Rat Rod Ricipe

funny how this old rusty metal smells like urine when you weld on it.

I've never smelled jaguar urine! :)

But seriously thanks for sharing and updating this thread.
I for one am enjoying it.
Nice looking pipes.

-brino

I wish I could get my vehicle in my shop. I spent about 4 hours today laying on cardboard in the snow replacing a leaky brake line. Had to quit when my hands were too cold to feel what I was doing.......

We've had a bugger (hermetic's word) of a time finding a drive shaft, Bryan finally located one in a junkyard in Alabama, $75 for the part, $89 to ship it here. The flanges fit but the spline on the slip yoke is seized up. Since we are going to install new U-joints we took it apart, I use an abrasive cutting disc to slice off the side of the bearing caps so we don't have to push them back through the bore. We applied some heat and a few blows with a soft hammer and when it didn't move we decided to soak it in diesel fuel for a few days, then we applied a puller and some more heat, it moved a little. Bill soaked it in 20% muratic acid for four hours and we again applied the puller and some heat and it finally came apart. There was very little grease in it and I think what was there dried out and turned to glue, Bill agrees, he says the shaft could be as old as 50 years, and there's no telling how long it's been sitting in the junkyard. After cleaning the splines up we still had a rough spot, I mixed up some SAE 140 gear oil and Comet cleanser and brushed it onto the splines, in a few minutes the rough spot was gone and it's shiny new.

shaft 001.JPG

shaft 002.JPG

shaft 003.JPG

shaft 004.JPG

shaft 005.JPG

shaft 006.JPG

Eugene said "some SAE 140 gear oil and Comet cleanser"
Thats some wild concoction there. Is this commonly used? I never heard of it and I'm an OLD man.
Grumpy too
Quite a job! Looking good. I've fought a few old drive shafts in my time, but never one this cantankerous.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

I mixed up some SAE 140 gear oil and Comet cleanser and brushed it onto the splines, in a few minutes the rough spot was gone and it's shiny new.

Sounds like a good fine lapping compound :encourage:

I mixed up some SAE 140 gear oil and Comet cleanser and brushed it onto the splines, in a few minutes the rough spot was gone and it's shiny new.
I was taught to use Bon Ami for these things. It works very well too.

"We've had a bugger (hermetic's word) of a time finding a drive shaft" LOLS! I had loads of those from Mk11 and S types, ran an S type 1966 as a road car for a couple of years, lovely car, with very forgiving handling! On one of my race cars I took out the drive shaft and coupled the gearbox direct to the differential with just a hardy spicer UJ, made up from the ones at either end of the driveshaft. and sat astride the gearbox with a remote shifter on the left hand side. Loads of power, but a bit of a handfull to drive..........................won races though. Later on I found out why it was a handfull to drive when watching some slow motion film of me racing. I had converted the steering on the Jag front end from steering box to rack and pinion, and as it bounced round a corner, you could see the front wheels toeing in and out as the suspension went up and down! Needless to say it was torn to peices that winter and rebuilt wider, lower, and with a double wishbone front end robbed from a Triumph Vitesse.

I would have used Bon Ami if I'd had some, that's the first thing Bill suggested. I've heard of people sprinkling it into the carb while the engine is running to seat the rings, probably in the Model T days and I'm not willing to test the myth. The back ordered front seal for the transmission finally showed up so we were able to get the engine back in, while Bill was bolting up all we un-bolted I was busy making a spacer for the drive shaft, the flanges have a rabbet fit and bolt pattern is rectangular, I'm surprised how close the shaft came to fitting, and real glad we didn't have to shorten it. I wonder what it would cost to ship one from the UK, speaking of which, Bill thinks you UK guys should start an environmental movement called SAVE THE JAGUAR, there's gotta be a joke in there somewhere. Our welder finally got back from his skiing vacation and is in the process of fitting up the floor. We're now looking for a speedometer drive including gear and plug that goes into the transmission. Thanks to all you guys for watching.

shaft2 001.JPG

shaft2 003.JPG

shaft2 004.JPG

The floor is installed and a bottle of Blue Shield is almost empty. Bill is installing the doors, they're from a different body and require a little massaging to get them to fit properly. Bill wants a roll bar but he requires the body to be removable so the roll bar must be removable also, these mounts will be welded to the frame, the 1 3/4" X .120" tubing will slip over the 1 1/2" X .120" pins, and be held in place with lynch pins. We use a simple ratchet bender and are usually able to hold the dimensions to within 1/16". Just for fun I thought you guys might like to see a picture of where I used to work, that's about 4 million horsepower at full load. this was taken last Thursday as we were leaving the mine with 4.83 tons of coal in the trailer behind us.

floor 009.JPG

floor 001.JPG

floor 005.JPG

floor 002.JPG

floor 014.JPG

We use a simple ratchet bender and are usually able to hold the dimensions to within 1/16".

hey @uegene13 can you provide any detail on this?
Is it a commercial unit?, maybe with "upgrades"
how is it anchored?(I've been considering a 2" trailer hitch receiver embedded in the concrete floor for multiple benders and a tire changer)

Just for fun I thought you guys might like to see a picture of where I used to work, that's about 4 million horsepower at full load. this was taken last Thursday as we were leaving the mine with 4.83 tons of coal in the trailer behind us.

Either would power one helluva shop!!!!

-brino

Back