Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

@Cadillac STS - +1 on that stinky Chinese rubber! You might also have noticed several posts on the forum that complain about rubber getting soft and sticky in a rather short time. There must be some expensive ingredient or procedure in rubber making that the Chinese are skipping, in an effort to save a few pennies. And we end up paying the price.

That Harbor Freight smell, the melding of aromas of unfully cured lead based paint, petrified Chinese cosmolene, improperly vulcanized rubber tires, with just a hint of harp seal fat from the long ocean voyage. My gawd, I love it, makes me want to rush to the local cheap and tawdry Chinese Buffet......

Hi. I find HF tools to be varied in quality and usefulness. Some are great "starter projects" they just need a few "Mods" like stiffening/reinforcement or application of some fine tuning. There is an excellent is EBook and Forum thread over on homemadetools dot net for modification/improvements on HF tools.
I agree with the "Don't buy the electric motors" opinion, this is to include the Bench Grinders. They haven't figured out how to make good electric motors. That being said I find I do buy the angle grinders. Burn out and replace 3 of these and you still haven't spent the cost of a named brand that does the same thing. Some have lasted me more than a year, others 2 or 3 uses. Also tools for one-time use like the Rotary Chisel/Hammer tool mentioned above, still beats the rental or purchase price.
Recently they seem to have deleted one Line of tools and brought on another which appear to be a bit better quality at a slightly higher price. Too soon to tell on these. {I don't off-hand remember the exact brands which is why I haven't been more specific}
I do have the mini-lathe and after swapping out the plastic gears for metal ones and modifying the rigidity of the cross-slide {Easy Fix BTW} it performs well.
I have had good luck with a Stick/Mig/TIG inverter and Plasma cutter but it is hard to get replacement parts i.e. the Feed and Gas hose/line for the MIG welder. And I find the sticks must be really dry for the stick welder. I did choose the 220V when possible but the 110V seem to work also.
The hand tools have been Ok, not Snap-on but still Ok. The impact sockets are very good. I have abused them badly and they are still good to go. Tool driver inserts work as long as the expensive ones but the drill bits have been 50-50. Some sets cut well, while other sets won't cut even plastic. This also applies to the Circular Saw Blades. Some things like Magnetic parts trays, Allen wrenches, Nitrile and rubber gloves, shop rags, abrasives, Razor and Xacto blades, Tarps and Blankets are hard to beat.
The Batteries are a Waste!!!!!!!!!! And I must trash the Vises!! I have broken 2 large ones and a small one. The casting is very porous.
I used to have to drive an hour plus to go to the HF in OKC but recently they came to town 5 blocks from me. My son says that I singlehandedly brought them to town! Lol.
As Always Your Mileage May Vary.
Ken

Last edited:
I bought the yellow version of HF’s tool cart. It was packaged very well and is very sturdy. Way better than their original red tool carts. Saw a review that compared it to a Snap-on tool cart (
). I’m thinking I might want another one.

Attachments

• 136A8520-EE42-4399-9D84-A6705E6DACAE.jpeg
    136A8520-EE42-4399-9D84-A6705E6DACAE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 7D487A59-E247-4ACE-8499-54F4BF0908E1.jpeg
    7D487A59-E247-4ACE-8499-54F4BF0908E1.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
I agree about the tool carts, tool box roll around’s and the welding cart with drawer. I have 2 roll around box’s and a cart and the mig cart. They are a good buy when on sale. The only problem my store never has any thing in stock. You always have to wait 2-3 weeks to get them, don’t even try to order them direct to the shop, the shipping doubles the price. I plan to pick up a Gen 2 tool carts like the you have after Christmas Sale. Only in blue, that yellow makes me heeev! LOL
CH

. . . I have had good luck with a Stick/Mig/TIG inverter and Plasma cutter but it is hard to get replacement parts i.e. the Feed and Gas hose/line for the MIG welder. And I find the sticks must be really dry for the stick welder. I did choose the 220V when possible but the 110V seem to work also.
As Always Your Mileage May Vary.
Ken
For "stick" welding, the rods must be dry. Any welder, any rod. Underwater welding excepted, but they use special rods and welders. Off the shelf stuff doesn't work. Industrial welders have "rod ovens", I have an air "tight" wood box with a couple of high wattage light bulbs. Even the kitchen oven works, but beware of SWMBO for that.

I also have some HF tools, from waayyy back, That are well built and still usable. But the current crop, I'll pass, thanks but no thanks.

"GlobeMaster" Anyone remember those tools from the late 60's / early 70's? Was there a Harbor freight connection? I remember GlobeMaster from a table full of different tools, in a local corner store/gas station. As is the consensus about HF now, then most of those tools were not worth the money. I have a GlobeMaster 1/2 inch socket set that is still going strong. My Sears Craftsman 1/2" ratchet from maybe 3-4 years later had to be replaced a few years ago. (not to get started on the difference in Craftsman tool quality over the years)

Well I remember GlobeMaster tools. Usually in a 99 cents bin at the local fish camp. They were handy if one was stuck out on the road without a tool kit. For immediate one time use. But nothing I would use at home. I still see them in a lot of eBay ads, drawing, well asking, premium prices. They had numerous sources, usually Japan, but many from Europe. I don't think there is a relationship with Harbor Freight. Beyond "John Q Public"'s desire for a cheap tool. There always was, and probably always will be. The Butter Knives of America demand relief from being used as a screwdriver.

I bought the yellow version of HF’s tool cart. It was packaged very well and is very sturdy. Way better than their original red tool carts. Saw a review that compared it to a Snap-on tool cart (
). I’m thinking I might want another one.

I have the tool chest. Works fine for what I need. If I was going to do it over, and I will at some point, I will be buying the Milwaukee tool chest. For the money, they are awesome.

BTW.. That is one nice South Bend that you have!

Well I remember GlobeMaster tools. Usually in a 99 cents bin at the local fish camp. They were handy if one was stuck out on the road without a tool kit. For immediate one time use. But nothing I would use at home. I still see them in a lot of eBay ads, drawing, well asking, premium prices. They had numerous sources, usually Japan, but many from Europe. I don't think there is a relationship with Harbor Freight. Beyond "John Q Public"'s desire for a cheap tool. There always was, and probably always will be. The Butter Knives of America demand relief from being used as a screwdriver.
Exactly. .99 cent bin. Or maybe .99 cents and up... Just looked at the sockets - from Japan.

Back