RC Corsair Exhaust

Kavan 50cc gas/glow, OS Pegasus 320 glow, and modern Kolm or Valach AND Mokis. All are very real sound.

We just need an RC plane forum.............

Yeah, forgot about the Kolm. Those are awesome sounding too. I had purchased a Nick Ziroli P-40 kit from a guy with the hopes of putting an inline Kolm in it but life got in the way.....

Also @7milesup, those helicopters are unbelievable! I had no idea they were scale til I noticed the human in the first photo!

Yeah, they are rather large. The pads that they are sitting on are 1 foot square. They weigh at least 20 lbs ready to go. Usually makes my knees shake when I fly them. LOL

Are those arf's or kits?

They are Roban models. I guess you could call them arf's, although there are no electronics in them at all and the mechanics need to be put together. Here is a link to the manufacturer's website. Roban Helicopters
Motion RC is now the US distributor (Used to be a RC Aerodyne in Seattle). Motion RC linky <<<<

My intent on the AS350 is to completely scale it out since I have a Prusa 3D printer and access to a Formlabs SLA printer too. Also going to repaint it eventually. ugghhhh.... so many things to do; so little time.

Hey @7milesup I spent some time looking around Roban's website but perhaps you could educate me a bit. What does ARF refer to? Also what is the difference between all the models? They have 470 - 800 ARF then the TREX kits. Is it just the size that separates the model lines?

Also how difficult is it to fly an R/C helicopter? The need for less space than an airplane appeals to me.

ARF is Ready To Fly or Almost Ready to Fly. Usually it means that all of the big pieces (fuselage, tail, wings for example) are already put together. You would still have to add all of the electrics and do some finish work. Receiver, Electronic Speed Control (ESC), Motor, Servos, gyro system, etc would need to be added.
The numbers represent the size of the rotor blades. A 470 is 470mm for each blade. 800 is 800mm for each blade (so a little over 31 inches plus the center hub distance).
The helicopters I have are not anything like the "drones" you see flying around. Certainly not something that is controlled by an app (sorry, not sure of your level of experience). Even though I have a system to make it much easier to fly, it is still like balancing a basketball on top of a beach ball. If one is going to get started in RC helicopters, I would recommend a 550 size or go completely the other way and get a micro. Horizon Hobby micro helicopters
The best chance of success is find a club and someone that can mentor you to get started. You can search for clubs here.. https://www.modelaircraft.org/club-finder

Thanks for the info! My experience level is near zero. I flew a paper airplane once!

Back