[How do I?] Re-felting Kennedy boxes

David, I bought a Kennedy tool box just like yours 45 years ago. The out side has a little surface rust, The inside including the tools look as good the day I bought and loaded it. You got yourself two gems.

I bought heavy felt from a fabric shop (relatively cheap) and stuck it down with spray contact adhesive. Recall hearing stories of corrosion due to glue type and possible synthetic felt, after 3 or 4 years no signs of rust but it is in a heted shop.
View attachment 342124

Greg

That is a beautiful chest Greg, really nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David, I bought a Kennedy tool box just like yours 45 years ago. The out side has a little surface rust, The inside including the tools look as good the day I bought and loaded it. You got yourself two gems.

Thanks, it’s funny I’d never seen one in my life before these two which came in quick succession.
The first one (second photo) I found when I went to buy a set of taps and dies. The fellow’s father was a machinist (@francist this is the Ramsay fellow) amd he just asked me if I wanted a toolbox full of tools. Leads me into the garage and points at it.
I concealed my excitement and acted casual. Open drawers and it’s full of reamers, taps, rules, dividers and more.
Even had the keys.
I ask what he wants for it.
$200.
Sold!

The second one (top photo) is circa 1961, ex-Canadian military (likely navy given there’s a naval base here) it has yellow stencil lettering on the front.
2ea95732bac3950194908a4d94dc825c.jpg

It’s a little worse for wear as the leather handle is a bit mangled.
9796bcf4fdf5f2872492c77c546a04da.jpg

It does have “Kennedy” in pinstriped script on the lid.
c81495450e349f940672c1bcaa0094d7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oh hey, I remember that stencilled one! I’m glad you scooped it — I looked at for a bit but (obviously) didn’t chase it.

I did about what f350ca did...but i went to Ben Franklin and bought a yard of green felt for practically nothing as i recall. It was about an order of magnitude more than i needed. Spray contact adhesive worked fine, why make it complicated?

There is a Canadian online store for felt that you might want to look at:

No personal experience. My wife was searching for some craft supplies when she ran across this and pointed it out to me.

Craig

There's an easy alternative to felt lining and it's called felt flocking, some call it cheating but if done right you really have to touch the material or examining the lining closely to see it's not real lining, Lee Valley, Amazon ,Ali express sells the kits:
hthttps://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/supplies/project-materials/100782-suede-tex-flocking-fibers?item=98K0820tps://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/supplies/project-materials/44669-flocking-kit?item=98K1003

FWIW, search to see if your area has one of the few remaining billiard supply houses. They recover pool tables using best quality felt. Sometimes it's red or blue, but green is still the most common. If one asks nicely, they'll save you what they remove. I've got several lifetimes supply of green which came from a 5' x 10' snooker table.

Cutting it for neat fit is the most difficult part and I haven't developed a quick and easy system.

jack vies

Back