[How do I?] Re-felting Kennedy boxes

FWIW, search to see if your area has one of the few remaining billiard supply houses. They recover pool tables using best quality felt. Sometimes it's red or blue, but green is still the most common. If one asks nicely, they'll save you what they remove. I've got several lifetimes supply of green which came from a 5' x 10' snooker table.

Cutting it for neat fit is the most difficult part and I haven't developed a quick and easy system.

jack vies
I used manila folder cardboard to make the pattern(s), 4 tabs with the bottom, then use that as a template to cut the felt.
Sometimes have to add a bit on the inner corners to get the felt to match up.
I have a small 1" dia rotary cutter that I like to use.

Looks like a have a lot of options!
@WCraig that's an interesting source. Definitely saving that for future reference for other purposes also.
@tghsmith I have a similar product I purchased (but haven't yet used for my large Husky rolling box. I'll see how it works out as that may be an expedient way to go.
@Ken from ontario have you tried the flocking kits? It would be interesting to see it in use. As someone whose kids used glitter for school projects...let's just say that years later it's still making itself known :(

Some glues do gas off, depending on chemistry. White glues are polyvinyl alcohol, which comes as polyvinyl acetate and gases acetic acid on its way to curing. Usually the acetate is so weak you can hardly smell it in curing white glues. That may be the cause of rust. Contact adhesive gases solvents and shouldn't hurt your tools. I don't know the formulation of hide glues (I don't hide glue, I leave it out in the open so it's easy to find).

@Ken from ontario have you tried the flocking kits? It would be interesting to see it in use. As someone whose kids used glitter for school projects...let's just say that years later it's still making itself known :(
Yes a few years ago. I did a display box, a trinket box and something else I can't remember , I was very much involved in woodworking then.
The trick is to have just enough paint/glue for the flocking fibers to stick evenly, I remember I practiced on a couple of boxes and got the hang of it that way. it's been 5-6 years and the lining still looks fine,.
Check out YouTube, you'll find a few videos on how to apply it:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=felt+flocking+kit

I was given one of the larger Kennedy machinist tool boxes and a neighbor threw out one of the standard sizes (which I liberated from the trash pile). I was going to replace all the felt, but pulling it up left half of the old stuff behind. Then, no solvent that I threw at it seemed to dissolve the remaining residue. Getting felt isn't a problem, as most fabric stores stock the item, but how to glue down hasn't been worked out. Perhaps a sheet of adhesive.

@DavidR8 I remember ABom79 did an episode visiting the Gerstner factory, I remember them showing the felt process they used. You may want to do a search. I can't remember but I thought they used a spray adhesive, but can't remember for sure. I do remember thinking that it was a simple process.

@Papa Charlie by chance I remember scrolling right past that video last night....will definitely revisit. Thanks for the heads up :)

Back