Reclaiming Polyethylene Pipe

It's also possible the tubing was co-extruded, which means it has multiple layers. I could have an outer layer which resits abrasion, etc, and a more "pure" PE inner layer for potable water contact. This may be the reason your seeing a outer skin that appears to melt differently.
This^^^^!
The OD and ID both exhibit this skin.

I flycut both sides of the burnt brownie down to 1/2" thickness (+/- .020). It machines pretty nicely with a sharp HSS tool, the floor was covered with little, black curlies that looked like rat turds.

20220219_122153.jpg20220219_122234.jpg

I really can't complain for a first attempt.

The next try is cooling now.

Test #2, I thought I'd try it this way.

20220219_111028.jpg

It was a bad idea.

20220219_114839.jpg

The skin on the inside is visible.
I used a 2.5 dia. piece of teflon to roll and press the poly to fill the voids. It was partially successful.
The finished plate was much thicker than the first, but was below 1/2" after cleanup and had some major voids.
I could also clearly see some lines where the skins had been.

I decided to make the non-melting skins work for me. I went back to quartering the pipe and laying the pieces horizontally in the pan, with each successive layer at 90º to the previous. This puts the skins in horizontal layers parallel to the thickness of the plates, like laying up fiberglas.

20220220_125900.jpg

I would heat each layer until substantially softened, then roll it with the teflon (it tends to draw up shorter) along with adding bits to fill any voids before adding the next layer. It's labor intensive, but what else do I have to do?

Still need a good mold release suggestion, the pan is getting pretty beat up. Canola didn't help much, neither did way oil.

The skin on the pipe may may a thin film of deposits from the water. Our water is fairly hard and also contains iron and anything carrying it eventually builds up a coating. You might try a wipe down with muriatic acid followed by a rinse.

Oils most likely won't work for a mold release as they would dissolve into the plastic. My plan was to just use old cans as disposable molds and peel them away. A 1 gallon solvent can cut lengthwise would be a candidate for a larger mold. Quart solvent cans foe smaller pieces..

The skin on the pipe may may a thin film of deposits from the water. Our water is fairly hard and also contains iron and anything carrying it eventually builds up a coating. You might try a wipe down with muriatic acid followed by a rinse.

Oils most likely won't work for a mold release as they would dissolve into the plastic. My plan was to just use old cans as disposable molds and peel them away. A 1 gallon solvent can cut lengthwise would be a candidate for a larger mold. Quart solvent cans foe smaller pieces..
The skin (ID and OD) is definitely from the extrusion process. Our well water is remarkably free of dissolved minerals, flowing directly down from the snows of Mount Lassen.

I have a surplus of round Danish Butter Cookie tins, which I was considering using, but I would prefer rectangular to reduce waste. It's also easier to cut the pipe to fit a rect. mold.

Since I will have to machine all surfaces, I may go back to using foil to line the mold.

I know this is a serious experiment and I’m following the results with interest, but, I have to say the accompanying images of black plastic cannoli and cinnamon rolls in baking pans is mildly amusing… ;)

I know this is a serious experiment and I’m following the results with interest, but, I have to say the accompanying images of black plastic cannoli and cinnamon rolls in baking pans is mildly amusing… ;)
I was thinking cinnamon rolls too.

Every episode of "How it's made" I have watched where they are making something out of plastic they always start with plastic beads from the plastic producer. I am trying to think of some way to grind up small batches. The only thing I can think of is to cut it with a saw and collect the "saw dust" and little pieces (maybe a big roughing mill?). Just a thought to spur some additional thinking...

Instead of a tray how about a tin can. Melt the plastic in the tin can then strip the tin can off the outside when the lump has cooled. Just another though to spur some additional thinking...

Another thing I notice is the hot plastic is almost always extruded. Either into finished pieces or into a blow mold to create a hollow shell... but almost always extruded. Just another thought to spur some additional thinking...

Mold Release... a silicon baking matt? Again, just a thought. (Of course you will have to wait until the wife is at the store or similarly out of the house).

Most of the "How it's made" episodes have very highly polished steel molds???? The blow molds also have water running through them to cool the plastic rapidly.

P.S. I love your experimentation!

(I am not suggesting you buy a mold release. Just seeing what is out there. WD40?)

Maybe it would help to melt and mix in one container then put it into a separate container for molding? (Cooking WD40 does not sound like a good idea but maybe it could be a release in the molding container? Wax paper in the molding container?)

Last edited:
gotta question. I have many tool cases, the blow molded cases for routers, drills, my bandsaw.. A few that I threw out. Is this polyethylene usually?

If it is, I think I'll make some plastic brownies this week.

gotta question. I have many tool cases, the blow molded cases for routers, drills, my bandsaw.. A few that I threw out. Is this polyethylene usually?

If it is, I think I'll make some plastic brownies this week.
Check for the recycling logo. A triangle with a number inside. Most recent plastic products have them in an unconspicuous spot. HDPE is a 2,. PP is a 5 and PET or PETE is a 1. PVC is a 3, LDPE is a 4, and PS is a 6.

cool, I'm showing a 2 on the Milwaukee case. gotta check the others... instant material.

edit yep, the others are 2... Man , now I am upset that I got rid of those other cases last year. Lots of good material... I'll be baking this week.

Back