Recommendation for which Asian Lathe to buy.

In OP's defense, they did identify themselves as being very new. There is a significant burden when someone is brand new to a topic in not knowing what they don't know. I was brutally reminded of this fact when I recently started an electronics project and joined some electronics forums. I really wanted to convey my lack of knowledge, my effort I had put into the topic, and my willingness to learn, but I got a lot of flak over there for the questions I asked.

I came up with the name Mt. Stupid to describe this feeling. It is the obstacle that stands in your way to learning a topic and when you're at the bottom of that mountain, you might not even have any idea things exist or what to call them. It is hard to do meaningful research until you've gotten over that first barrier. I hope we can all help OP (and the countless more to come) learn what they need to get going. After all we are the "Friendly Machinist Forum" and that's the biggest reason I love this site!

You exactly know what I'm going through :) I guess the first barrier for me was discovering about the "electronic leadscrew" and knowing what price ranges for lathe gives what kind of quality in threading.

Literally any lathe on the market that can cut threads will cut them with sufficient “quality” or “accuracy” for what you’re trying to do.

Water hose fittings and the like, right?

Chasing extreme precision for such a task will cost you (an exhorbitant amount of) money and time. and will provide no real return.

Literally any lathe on the market that can cut threads will cut them with sufficient “quality” or “accuracy” for what you’re trying to do.

Water hose fittings and the like, right?

Chasing extreme precision for such a task will cost you (an exhorbitant amount of) money and time. and will provide no real return.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, hose and quick connectors and the like.

This is exactly what I was assuming as you mentioned that any lathe in the market can provide a sufficient quality for my purpose.

But I'm still in some kind of dilemma, since many, like 90% machinists, has said to get a mid range ($3K-$6K) lathe.

So far I have found this "JET 1224PS" lathe on craigslist, and I've spoken with the owner and he wouldn't go lower than $1,500... what's the deal guys?
Should I take it and it's a good lathe? Will this lathe be priced at $4K if I get a brand new one? I will modify it with an electronic lead screw.

Thanks

Are any of these threads tapered?
Precision water connector with threads of all kinds (Both American and British)
-Quick Connectors
-Hydraulics
I haven't figured out how to do tapered threads on a manual lathe.

Are any of these threads tapered?
Precision water connector with threads of all kinds (Both American and British)
-Quick Connectors
-Hydraulics

I don't see why one shouldn't be able to make tapered threads on a decent lathe. I do need to have the ability to make tapered threads on a lathe.

That's a good point, and something I overlooked in the original post. Pipe threads are tapered, and there is no easy way to do this with a single-point tool. A die in the tailstock would work, and I imagine a taper attachment could be used for single-point threading; otherwise it looks like the compound has to move in sync with the carriage to maintain the taper.

EDIT: yup and yup.

If the jet is in good condition and comes with the accessories, it's a decent price.

Ugh... I hate tapered threads. Can you use o-ring seals or similar?

If the jet is in good condition and comes with the accessories, it's a decent price.

Ugh... I hate tapered threads. Can you use o-ring seals or similar?

The JET needs some work, but no tooling whatsoever.

You will definitely need a taper attachment for tapered pipe threads. The only other way is with a die (or CNC). These are things that, along with other essentials, you would learn by getting some instruction BEFORE buying a lathe and finding out it won't do what you need. Get thee to a makerspace.

But I'm still in some kind of dilemma, since many, like 90% machinists, has said to get a mid range ($3K-$6K) lathe.

So far I have found this "JET 1224PS" lathe on craigslist, and I've spoken with the owner and he wouldn't go lower than $1,500... what's the deal guys?
Should I take it and it's a good lathe? Will this lathe be priced at $4K if I get a brand new one?

The 12×36 PM and Grizzly comparables are in the $4,200 range right now (thanks to Trump's Chinese tariffs.) A couple of years ago the same machines were $3,400 range.

You should figure that $1,500 with useful amounts of tooling is a pretty decent price; depending on the amount of tooling. You should also get the stands, and be prepared with a engine lift and lifting tackle to move it from shop to truck.

The 24" bed length will be a bit restrictive compared to a ×36-er.

Back