Recommendations for small tap handle

Ooooh, ooooh! I just realized I have some white vinyl end caps for wire shelving.

BRB

View attachment 317545

Thanks for idea. For one of my small tap wrenches the handle is very thin in diameter & would hurt my fingers sometimes. I was planning to put some RC fuel tubing on it for more cushion (handle is fixed on this one). Your idea made me remember I have a bunch of vinyl caps. Searched my stash today & found a bag of the exact size.

Doesn't seem like much cushion but hopefully it does the trick.

20200322_192713.jpg

Thanks for idea. For one of my small tap wrenches the handle is very thin in diameter & would hurt my fingers sometimes. I was planning to put some RC fuel tubing on it for more cushion (handle is fixed on this one). Your idea made me remember I have a bunch of vinyl caps. Searched my stash today & found a bag of the exact size.

Doesn't seem like much cushion but hopefully it does the trick.

View attachment 317796
I might try some heat shrink on mine.

Or Plastic-Dip! Thousand and one uses. All of which are some variation of "coating a tool handle in rubbery plastic".

I like these you can drive them with a 3/6" drive ratchet or T handle

1585095226333.png

Whatever you do, don't get this kind! I just opened my old cheap tap set today and discovered this:IMG_20200329_144246.jpg
I can't imagine it was put it away like this - it must of cracked post use. Never thought these cast housings were very strong. On the good side, it did last a decade. This style is easier for me to use than the tee. I usually start the thread using a tee and switch. I find the tee easier to start the thread straight.

Haven't had good luck with the medium Irwin tee wrench, either. Used one yesterday to tap a M6 and the tap would slip everytime the direction reversed (to clear chips). Very disconcerting. Yes, I used a pair of pliers to tighten the Irwin nut.

On the other hand, my little Starrett 93A is very good for small taps. Hasn't slipped. In the meantime, I'm getting both a 91A and 91B. That should cover taps under 1/2". Life is too short for crummy tap wrenches, right?

On the other hand, my little Starrett 93A is very good for small taps. Hasn't slipped. In the meantime, I'm getting both a 91A and 91B. That should cover taps under 1/2". Life is too short for crummy tap wrenches, right?

Yup, the Starrett 91 series has been around for a very long time because they just work. No fanfare, no real advertising, just a tool speaking for itself.

Slightly off topic - I used a special chip clearing tap for aluminum. These taps work amazingly well! The through hole kind that I bought just pushed the chips, really the curly cues, out the bottom of the hole. Never had to reverse the tap. It was amazing. I tried it with and without Tap Magic Aluminum. Seemed to work the same. Easiest holes I ever tapped. M8x1.25. Tap for aluminum. Used the taps to make adapter plates for leveling casters on my rolling tool chest.

I realize it's a square end on tap, but could you get a small socket on it? 12point? With a small 3" (1/4") drive ratchet...good for tight space..

You know over the years I have collected the Starrett 91a, 91b and all three Of the 93’s and have never looked for any thing else. Oh and mine are made in the good old USA. I have a Starrett 174 also, for tapping receivers with #6,#8 scope bases.
CH

I realize it's a square end on tap, but could you get a small socket on it? 12point? With a small 3" (1/4") drive ratchet...good for tight space..

Some times yes, but most of the time it is to sloppy.

Back