Removing a ring from finger.

I own only two rings, both are very loose fitting, rather lose the ring than damage a digit.
When I had a wedding ring it came off before I went anywhere near manufacturing equipment and onto a clip with my keys.
No jewelery of any kind around the machines. Yet I'm a hypocrite cause I wear long sleeves all the time.
Another 'back when I was younger' story, old timers advice - lose the tie, lose the gold necklace (it was the '70s), and no rings, they seem to snag at the strangest times.

If not too badly swollen, hand above head for 5-10 minutes, cisco or coconut type oil and the waxed floss should do it.
Also remember 'diet' soda can cause a lot of swelling.

I can remember back when I was about 5 yrs old my mother broke a mercury thermometer. She picked up the mercury and rolled it around in the palm of her hand and within a few minutes her wedding rings fell to the floor. She got a new wedding set, that I do remember

There is another thing that you can try and provided that your finger hasn't swollen up because of all your attempts at removing the ring, you will need another person to help, 1) chill down your hand, 2) use some lube and then 3) get your helper to pull your finger skin from the ring back towards your hand whilst you hold your finger straight and then try to twist the ring whist pulling it off.

Usually when you try to remove a ring it sort of bunches up the skin over your knuckle making it thicker and so much harder to remove so this method helps to reduce the bunching up.

If you need to cut it those "multi-tools" which work like the saw used for removal of plaster casts will cut hard materials which are held still whilst just wobbling skin back and forth where they contact it.

Just do not jump off the dump truck! So I did back in the 70's wedding ring stuck on the spill board now its like 6 feet to
the ground. First time I see stars. Inbetween being dizzy I staggared to the shop and hacksawed the ring on a blood
drenched vise. I rolled skin back over finger joint little masking tape and somehow drove the truck with my right hand
home truck was no toy all that steering shifting one hand red paints and steering wheel. Got home. Poured a glass of
my fathers whiskey, stuck my finger in there talk about burning I fixed the burning I drank the rest of the whiskey. Yum
yum feel good then. Now the bonus; It was a week and my cousin a girl did the same dump truck thing, only she went
to the hospitol for stitches. That one week period of my whiskey all healded up,,,,took her about 3 weeks, then they took the stitches out. There ya go. You learn from the ole man - cuts bruses whiskey or lacqure thinner bee stings dirt and
diesel fuel. reminds me the ole man on a ladder got stung by nasty yellow jackets refused the ambulance his face was red as fire by a 100 stings, whats he do clay and enamal reducer rub it on real good. Kid next door got bed bugs on him his
father dunked him in kersene head and all: cause you call the town dr. would be 5 bucks and kerosene was 10 cents a gal.
Man up modern people that go runnin to the get rich doctors. Here is a good one. Old former boss just about cut his
leg of with chain saw - rushed to hospitol they want to cut his leg off somehow he just got up and left. He then soaked
mangaled leg with milk and bread and kept on doing that. Pretty quick he went back to that dr and said go back to school son.... all true stories.

We carry ring cutters on every rig, Try you local fire department. Hopefully your ring is not made of Ti.

When I was doing a lot of offshore sailing we kept a ring cutter in the medical chest. As I recall it was a small inexpensive instrument, never used it.

I would think any jewelry store would cut it off and resize it for a small fee.

I hired a young man years back and he had a bald spot above his forehead. After he was there a while one of the other guys asked him what happened and he said he used to work at a shop running a cylindrical grinder and one day while he was grinding a part he looked down at the shaft turning and his long hair got wrapped around the drive dog and pulled his head down and he pulled his head back and ripped the hair out of his scalp. I heard about a guy who wore a nylon wind breaker inside the shop because the shop owner had the thermometer set at 55.

One day as he was running a HBM (Horizontal boring machine) that was using a boring bar that ran through a 20" holed casting and the other end was in the end rest. They were single pointing the big hole. This guy looked into the hole and the tool in the boring bar caught his jacket armand pulled him into the machine. A co worker was there bsing with him and when this guy screamed HELP..he was able to hit the emergency stop button, but not before the guy was flipped over and lost his arm at the elbow and part of his leg at the knee as he wound around the boring bar. There was a old army medic working there and they were able to stop the bleeding until the EMT's got there. Such a sad deal and the shop owner took it in the shorts for trying to save heat. Bottom line is no long hair, no wedding rings, no long sleeve anything, safety glasses, etc. when working in a shop. Poor guy ..... :-(

I had a wedding ring removed by a surgeon who used a commercial hand operated rotary cutter. I think his fingers were quite sore after he lfinally cut through the bulky ring

Back