Reputable blast cabinet brands?

P-Ritch

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

I was curious which were some of the more reputable blast cabinet brands out there that people prefer?

I was looking around on google and raptor, badboy, and cyclone keep popping as well as Skat blast. Badboy seem to be the highest quality builds at my first inexperienced look, but they are also the most expensive, of course. Does anyone have any first hand experience with any of these brands? I'm looking for a larger cabinet (like 24x40 interior minimum) to fit rifle and motorcycle/car parts in.

Also, can you pay extra for a badboy blast cabinet to not have a 12x12 sticker of a shirtless tough guy with a barbwire armband and US flag bandanna plastered on the front of it.....

Thanks,

Jon

If/when I buy a blast cabinet it will be a Vapor Blasting cabinet. Might look into them.

If/when I buy a blast cabinet it will be a Vapor Blasting cabinet. Might look into them.

Oh wow, I had never even heard of vapor blasting before. Seems even more suited to what my primary use will be: cleaning up restoring old things. Looks like I have a new rabbit hole to go down.

I think one of our members, @Titanium Knurler, has one. I hope he sees this and comments since he was the one who alerted me to these things.

The vapor blasting sounds pretty impressive, looked here https://www.raptorblaster.com/vapor-king-wet-blast-cabinet-rb4836/. You have to call in for a quote, so I'm guessing not cheap. I've had a Scat Blast cabinet for around 15 yrs, and have had no issues with it. Probably the most used tool in my shop. If you go this route, get the carbide nozzle tips, they last for ever, compared to the ceramic ones, and get the largest one you can afford. You will need at least a 5hp, 2 stage compressor with an 80 gal tank for continuous use, and that would be right at the limit. It's my understanding that the wet blast units require considerably more air volume. Mike

Whatever size you get the gun is one of the most important things, first job was to replace the crap item that came with the cabinet. I bought a Supacheap Auto one,(same as the Harbour Freight ones),and after a few mods really like it. I fitted Aluminium rails with sealed 'Cool White' 5630 L.E.D. modules in place of the original tube at top and another beneath the window so plenty of shadowless light. Made a duct to go from what was the vacuum port to the lower left corner and made the air in the air out for cross flow and no dust.
I intend to make it a wet blast cabinet following along on what I learned here: Armoury Enterprises NZ - YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5mEA0d4nP1rbzIerZIS_7Q work in progress.
P.S. I have seen one of these smallish cabinets modified for firearm work with a fabricated extension out the LH side.

Attachments

• I.jpg
    I.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I had a smallish Hydro-Hone wet blast cabinet before I sold it prior to leaving CA for NC 20+ years ago.
Wish I had kept it as the dry blast cabinet I have today clogs constantly due to the ambient humidity.
The wet-type blasters are impervious to the vile and evil Southern mugginess.

Oh wow, I had never even heard of vapor blasting before. Seems even more suited to what my primary use will be: cleaning up restoring old things. Looks like I have a new rabbit hole to go down.

Jon, I have a Vapor Honing Technologies(VHT) vapor honing cabinet. I have limited experience so far but I like it very much; very gentle on parts and leaves a nice satin finish. Here is my set-up:

0AC7B3CF-6BDA-418E-8433-0D70B4EBE3B5.jpeg

I've used a few cabinets... I have a "large" HF cabinet that does all I ask of it. I had to re-do the light, re-do the gun, and re-do the pickup to keep it working, but it continues to serve well and I have no plans to replace. My Dad has a Skat Blast cabinet with its own evac system (no need for shop vac). The visibility is far better in the Skat. I've gone through several Skat cabinets at work, they're good. Today, I looked at a Cyclone and decided it is the nicest cabinet of its size that I've seen. They open fully, so if it fits on the work bench it fits in the cabinet. Good for bulky items. The Cyclone is clearly the more expensive. If you like commercial equipment, Cyclone cabinets are the next level.

Back