Reputable blast cabinet brands?

What are you using for media, TK? Glass bead or garnet? What's with the additives?

Vapor Blasting looks like a great process for restoration etc.

With regards to Blasting Cabinets, I've been really happy with my Grizzly G0707 https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-24-x-37-Blast-Cabinet/G0707

Considered going the DIY Upgrade route with an HF Cabinet or equivalent. In the end I'm really happy I went with the Grizzly. The Lighting, integral dust collection system, and other features meant I could start using it upon receipt. Though more than the cost of a HF unit, it was less than others I found with similar features. I also purchased it during Grizzly Free Shipping Offer.

I'm sure I'll catch some flak, but I wanted a cabinet and didn't want to spend a lot. Its not something I need a lot, but it's nice to have when you do. I went with a HF cabinet and followed the recommendation for upgrades and improvements (there are a lot of them) I found online and youtube.
Basically there is nothing wrong with the cabinet if it's sealed well, the plexiglass replaced with glass, a better light installed and a vacuum connection setup installed. Some folks also upgrade to a better gun, but I haven't had the need or any issues with the gun that it came with. If you're willing to accept that it needs some upgrades and don't mind doing them, you can save quite a bit. Especially when on sale and using a 20-25% off coupon. There were other local stores (Tractor Supply, Cal Ranch etc) that had better blasting media for cheaper than HF.

I started out with a HF cabinet and did everything I could to get it to stop leaking. I eventually gave up on it and bought a used commercial suction blast cabinet. I do transmission mods and I sometimes get 10 or more housings in and it took me several days to blast them all.

So I found a how to online and converted it to a pressure blast system. It was better but still not great. Then I got lucky and found a Trinco pressure blast cabinet. It recirculates the media and is fast, very fast. I can do 10 housing in about 2 hours. But I did upgrade my compressor to a 24 cfm to keep up with it.

If your interested I have a how too on here when I converted the one cabinet to pressure system.

What are you using for media, TK? Glass bead or garnet? What's with the additives?

I am using glass beads only now but I am going to experiment with adding varying amounts of garnet until I am able to match the original finish. The glass bead finish really looks very smooth, almost painted, which is nice but it is a bit smoother than the original. I am trying to restore the Enduros to as close to original as possible so I want the surface a little bit rougher than I get with glass beads alone.

The only additive that I have used is an "anti-clumping" material that looks a bit like clay. Oh, I also put in an antimicrobial solution in to inhibit bacterial/fungal growth.

I am trying to restore the Enduros to as close to original as possible so I want the surface a little bit rougher than I get with glass beads alone.

Make sure to post how the Enduro restoration goes. My dad has a 1974 Yamaha Enduro 100 that still runs and is almost 100% original. It's a little beat up and just plain dirty. I've told him down the road I'd like to strip it all the way down and do deep clean/rebuild to make it like new. They are fun little bikes and the one I learned to ride on.

I have good memories with Dad on his 1969 Yamaha DT-250. He gave me the bike later on, but I had a Honda XR500 by then, so I passed. Now I wish I hadn't!

Titanium Knurler Given that from the factory the engines were painted have you found a paint that is like the original? Whatever it is it is a single coat and thin.

Titanium Knurler Given that from the factory the engines were painted have you found a paint that is like the original? Whatever it is it is a single coat and thin.

ND, I recently purchased a 1969 125cc Enduro((AT1e) and a 1970 250cc Enduro (DT1c). I have started the restoration on the 250 but it has polished engine covers. However, the 125cc has painted engine covers like you mention so I will have to find out soon what to use for painting the covers. There is a very good website for old Enduros( https://www.yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums) where I am sure you could get some tips on painting your engine covers.

Here are the bikes to be restored. The white one has painted covers, the red one has polished covers that are barely visible in the photo:
FB4993F8-81DA-4E4E-AE1A-1A2C03461BBB.jpeg

Here is the red one in it’s current condition; ready to go off for sandblasting and powder coating:

547EA358-1323-4EA0-A569-BD7B48413DE0.jpeg

...and a photo of a bike like my first one ever:

E87D9739-F008-41A5-A0EF-D29D76B2BB41.jpeg
I wish I still had that little Honda mini trail!

Here is a tool kit for my “vintage“ Enduro. It was really a mess, it looks almost new now. The finish when you use glass beads looks almost like it has been painted because the glass beads “peen” the surface of the metal.
All the tools look great, but I'm really impressed by how well the Allen wrench came out. The black oxide survived!

Back