Rescued two flat spaces

I think I have posted Mike Campbell's "Rule of Horizontal Surfaces" here before, but I can't find the post. Please excuse me as I duplicate it-

"You can build a shop with one acre of workbench space. There will STILL come a day when you must sweep your hand across the bench to clear a space to set your beer can down".

Is this about the beer? Is this about the shop? Is this about the shop owner/manager/janitor/apprentice? You decide:cautious:. But the truth remains, we have ALL been in that shop on that day.

That's about how it was, till I tried to put my drink down........

So when does it start to be considered "Hoarding" to others which many here would probably consider it to be more like an intolerable mess to the shop owner....Is it mearly when all the flat areas within the shop real estate are occupied or does there also need to be Stacking of multiple objects multiple layers deep? :dunno: :laughing:

.Is it mearly when all the flat areas within the shop real estate are occupied or does there also need to be Stacking of multiple objects multiple layers deep?
If you can set your beer down on top of a layer, and not be concerned about gravity or balance, then you have not reached "critical mass" yet:eek 2:

So when does it start to be considered "Hoarding" to others which many here would probably consider it to be more like an intolerable mess to the shop owner....Is it mearly when all the flat areas within the shop real estate are occupied or does there also need to be Stacking of multiple objects multiple layers deep? :dunno: :laughing:

What is this “hoarding” thing you speak of?
I prefer to think of it as being well-stocked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the machines, benches and everything are buried and there's no place to move anything and you can't actually work, that's hoarding. I wish I would have taken pictures of the estate sale I got my shaper at. The lot was 2.5ac with a 3brm house and a 65x75 barn. It looked like they had tools and equipment spread all over that 2.5ac and took 4 giant bulldozers and squished all that stuff together then dropped the barn on top of. Stuff was stacked 10' high with little narrow paths between the huge stacks. He was a hoarder. And when I got there it had been going on for 3wkds before!

I've seen it in a home, and it filled up a whole yard, but that is extreme.

Being one who prefers to reuse and recycle whenever possible (read:junkyard dog) it's a constant struggle. I've learned to keep just the pieces that are useful but they take up space and storage where it doesn't rust and turn to junk is tricky. My dad has always been a borderline hoarder and his wife is a full on hoarder. So they are a bad combo. I noticed when he gave up being the park handyman he tipped into hoarder territory. A mess is one thing but keeping and storing stuff that truly has no use is an illness.

I would have liked some background on the guy at the estate sale as I think he was like my dad. Being the unofficial handyman in a 55+ mobile home park everybody knew him and there is a pretty constant turnover as the old guys pass and the wife has his stuff to get rid of, so they gave it to dad. He has 4-5 of everything in buckets and jammed into a little shed. I already had to go through a bench that was a total heap along side of the mobile that needed to be gone through because they were replacing the mobile. It had been a pile for 25yrs under an awning and only maybe 2% of the whole pile 10' long was worth saving. It totally broke his heart for me to toss everything but he knows he's coming to the end of the road. He'll be 90 on the 30th of this month. I realize when I give up actually doing stuff I'm in danger of being a hoarder as folks have started offering me stuff. So far I've been able to resist......

Back