***Resolved*** NEW PM-1440HVT-2 Lathe (PM fixed it)

I think you have said exactly what has been going on in my mind the last month. Makes me feel a little better knowing i'm not on an island thinking this way. Now to give PM the benefit of the doubt, they haven't said I'm the one doing the repairs "yet". I've been too afraid to even ask at this point. I'm going to wait and see what happens but he did want be to make changes to the VFD and that's no easy task. I downloaded the owners manual to Toshiba VFD and it was a whole different language. Im not gunna lie im in the fetal position right now scared about this.
One thing is almost guaranteed. Matt will make this right.

drain the oil out, and run the lathe without oil. use a high speed camera on your phone and capture it .. then shut it down. you don't need oil for a quick run..
that will give you the best indication of what's going on.. and btw, you shouldn't have 1 thou run out on that. it should be under 1 thou for a $20k machine. just my opinion.
I've been wanting to do this, I'm worried they will pull a "you voided the warranty running it without oil" trick on me. Not sure what to expect from them. I do think I could see whats going on by doing this though.

One thing is almost guaranteed. Matt will make this right.
Honestly that does give me peace of mind! I always hear folks say good things about PM but until you experience yourself you never know what to expect. Thanks!

PM has great customer support, but they don't have service techs or a service support network or anything like that. See also:

They'll happily exchange / provide parts, but the customer is the one to perform that work.

PM has great customer support, but they don't have service techs or a service support network or anything like that. See also:

They'll happily exchange / provide parts, but the customer is the one to perform that work.
Ya, I read that yesterday in my manual. That's what got me scared.

And that right there is what PM would be doing had I bought this 20k lathe. To the OP, button that gear box up and tell PM to send you the new lathe you paid for. That thing should be ready to use fresh from the crate.
Absolutely! I have a lot of mechanical ability but would NOT be happy if I was expected to tear the head apart of my new lathe.

The funny not funny thing about this is I don’t even know where the oil drain plug for the headstock. Or any of the other parts I have to change the oil. I’m more of a monkey see, monkey do person. We will see what happens.

PM has a very good informal support network, right here.

I'll bet the vast majority of problems folks have are operator error, or something small that's easily fixed.

However, when it gets to the point where they're talking about a "sleeve" on a gear shaft inside the machine, that's not a user solvable issue. It sounds like they've been going back and forth with the manufacturer who's trying to avoid eating the cost (pretty sure once it hits the states it's a write-off if anything needs to be shipped back). It's time for THEIR supplier to bite the bullet and pay for a new machine for the OP.

I've seen PM selling damaged machines on eBay for short money as-is and they should treat this the same way, as if it was dropped in transport. It doesn't matter to the customer how it got damaged, it arrived that way and doesn't meet the legal standard of implied merchantability.

I'd be on the phone with Matt tomorrow morning and make it clear that you're neither the QC department or factory service. Pretty sure they'll make it right, but don't be afraid to demand satisfaction.

JMHO,

John

Back