***Resolved*** NEW PM-1440HVT-2 Lathe (PM fixed it)

Thanks John- When I started it up I thought that I was doing something wrong, like you were saying “user error” what I call (id10t error) Like it wasn’t level… After talking with PM and them reaffirming that I wasn’t doing wrong I’ve felt like I’m in limbo. I was starting to think that everyone that has a lathe is a mechanical engineer and knows how to fix everything and I was entering in place I didn’t belong. I appreciate the words of encouragement. I’ll see what this sleeve entails. I’m afraid it might be above my knowledge and tools.

While I had the machine on in the first couple of days I heard a snap and could smell some electrical burn. My RPM screen went out. They said they’ll send me a new one (hoping that’s what it is). I don’t think that should be very hard to replace. Fingers crossed.

Nice video editing! The indicator isn't really giving a good indication of runout if you are side loading the tip. Try checking all of the same locations with it set up like it is at the 0:27 mark with it only moving up and down.

This is where I get frustrated, I looked through my emails and on Nov 17th I told him about the RPM screen, he asked me to send a video of it and to video the inside to see if we can see any burn marks. I sent him that video the same day and this is the response I get 2 weeks later. Frustrating....

The parts are on their way to us, but I'm still going back and forth with the factory exchanging information about this lathe. The RPM screen is completely dead, correct? It doesn't light up or display anything? Could you shoot a quick video of the lathe running showing that the display is dead?
Thanks!

Precision Matthews Machinery Co. Technical -

May want to take it offline now. If they are responding then let us know what the resolution is.

John

There is no quick fix other than returning it. When indicating the spindle you should remove the plate from the mount an indicated directly off the spindle and see if there is any movement either static or at low speed with an indicator on the mounting surfaces. The back plate you are indicating off is for shipping purposes to protect the spindle.

There is a snap ring (37) that secures the gears that are rattling, if it is missing then the gears (11 and 12) will move back and forth, only the teeth on the small gear limit the movement. Gears 11 (high speed) and 12 (low speed) are keyed to the spindle shaft so not effected by the spindle bearings. Given that the head is only 2 speeds it is less complicated to remove the spindle to do repairs, if one was so inclined. As a new machine, I would return it to get a replacement and have them test it before it ships.

Edited picture to 1440VS parts diagram, really a very simple 2 speed gearing setup.

1701374692431.png

Last edited:
Last night I put the indicator directly in the sleeve. (I didn't video it) It seemed to run true with little movement. The snap ring #55 is in place. I'm starting to wonder if that noise is coming from a gear lower. All the other gears are below the oil line. Makes me wonder if there's a gear missing a snap ring. Looks like there are a lot of other snap rings. I guess I'll try and find the oil drain plug on this guy and see if there are any loose gears.

As far as returning it, its the last thing I want to do. I am willing to do whatever is within the realms of my mechanical skills (which isn't much) to get this running as it should. I know that no company is immune to something like this. I have no problem giving them the benefit of the doubt and doing what I can to get this to work. I'll keep you posted on what I am able to find out with a loose gear. I really think its something to do with that.

Thanks for your help!

I'm of the opinion that the problem is the gear that has so much play. Once that is fixed I'm sure it will be an awesome machine.

drain the oil out, and run the lathe without oil. use a high speed camera on your phone and capture it .. then shut it down. you don't need oil for a quick run..
that will give you the best indication of what's going on.. and btw, you shouldn't have 1 thou run out on that. it should be under 1 thou for a $20k machine. just my opinion.
I am sorry you are going through this.

I agree with woodchucker. Drain the oil and run it to verify where the noise if coming from. It may very well be correct that it is the large gear but I would hate to go through the repair and not fix the issue.

Back