Restoring (hopefully) my new Smart and Brown SAB

Ben17484

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

Pretty new to the forum. A bit of background on me - I've no background in engineering at all, but I do have a thousands of hours on YouTube watching the machining greats and a positive attitude :)

All joking aside, I owned a Warco 250V lathe (I think an English badged version the same as a Precision Matthews lathe) and a Warco WM18 Mill. I never had a lot of time to do much with them other than play around so I sold them a while ago. I've now got some more time on my hands and liked the idea of restoring an old lathe rather than buying a new one. I like the style of the old lathes and build quality. I would have liked to get a Colchester or Harrison lathe, but they were just too big to fit in my workshop. As access, I only have a single doorway down a small alley way to get to my workshop, so the bigger lathes were out of the question. After searching around for a while I settled on the idea of getting either a Boxford or Smart and Brown lathe (both of which are English built Southbend 9). After some searching, I found one that was being sold buy a retired engineer who used this as his "home lathe" (whilst having much bigger equipment at work). He was demolishing the shed in his garden and needed everything gone. Whatever I didn't take was going to the scrap yard. So I got all of this:

IMG_0268.jpegIMG_0275.jpegIMG_0276.jpegIMG_0280.jpegIMG_0286.jpegIMG_0265.jpegIMG_0267.jpeg

there's a bunch more that I've not photo'd. Not all of this stuff fits my lathe (or I can use on anything), but I wanted to save it from the scrap yard.

This will take me quite a while to restore I'd imagine (I've kids and a job etc that take most of my time), but I'm looking forward to it.

Attachments

• IMG_0271.jpeg
    IMG_0271.jpeg
    951.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0279.jpeg
    IMG_0279.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0281.jpeg
    IMG_0281.jpeg
    359.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0287.jpeg
    IMG_0287.jpeg
    964.9 KB · Views: 25
Welcome Ben, that's quite a collection!

There are a few guys in the UK who are familiar with Smart Brown and Chris Hallybone at Brachand sells some parts. The Smart Brown forum at groups I.O. isn't very active but you might get some help there. Dave

Is that a tilting/rotating milling attachment for the lathe?!? If so, I have to say that is a first for me!

Is that a tilting/rotating milling attachment for the lathe?!? If so, I have to say that is a first for me!

No, it’s a universal (tilt/swivel) vice for a milling machine. The guy I bought the lathe from just wanted rid of everything he had, so I only paid for the lathe and he just said anything else I wanted I could just take. The universal vices are not cheap either, so I was happy to find he had one he didn’t want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before and after in some a clean up of some of the items that came with the lathe. I’ve cleaned up a bunch of other stuff like taps, dies, chuck jaws, reducers and a QCTP as well. I’m going to refurbish the universal vice and the tapping head and once they’re done I’ll get cracking on the lathe itself!

cb4b03a307e8c1b556aad314b01e547b.jpg

af58b36d174675d3829c492126f0c8ba.jpg

e5f2114932f814f307bc187801e4164c.jpg

30f988f13db0b17225aa3b09db53ea16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back