Rifle rest

hdskip

Active User
Registered
This is a project that my precision machining students make before they graduate. This is a high school class. Obviously we are in a rural area( this may not be PC in some city schools). The project is all made from bar stock and made to print specs. We are in class 2.5 hrs. a day and this project takes about 6 week to complete. This is assembled with mechanical fasteners and no welding is done on it. This came about because I personally needed one. As I designed and built mine many of my students expressed a desire to build one. To date this past year we have completed 5 of these. Many folks have offered to buy them but no one will part with theirs. I thought I'd share this with everyone.
Gary

100_3839.JPG

100_3839.JPG

would like to see more pics on how it was built,looks factory:victory:

These are all the pictures I have now. I can take some more when I can get around to it. I also have blue prints for each part. The young men I train go directly to machining jobs upon graduation. This kind of professional work helps them attain good positions in manufacturing.
Commercial rests of this quality sell in $250-$300 range. I wouldn't sell mine for that price.

If there is an interest I will try to post the prints and plans for this project. Be patient with me as I'm IT challenged. I think it has something to do with my advanced years!

BTW thanks for the compliment.

Gary

100_3841.JPG100_3838.JPG100_3839.JPG

100_3841.JPG 100_3838.JPG 100_3839.JPG

Looks like a very nice rest. I'm sure there would be lots if interest here for the plans. I for one am, anyway.
Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto on the plans. I just finished building a rest from an old office chair. It turned out pretty good, but not nearly as nice as yours. I would love to build one for myself and maybe a few for gifts to my shooting buds.

I've been shooting with mine for several years now. It is by far the nicest one I've used. The only thing I would change for myself would be to change the top to make it adjustable for windage. I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. This rest has both coarse and fine vertical adjustment. As far as prints and plans I'll have to make copies and scan them and will post them here. I'm finishing up the school year and will be busy for a couple of days. It will be later in the week before I can get that done.
There is a pretty good amount of work to this thing. Nothing extremely close tolerance but the average person mildly skilled on the mill and lathe could handle it. My students are second year machining students (high school seniors) and they do a really nice job. There are many different techniques on both machines that may be done differently but the object is to teach them different ways of doing things they will be challenged with on the job.
If I were going to make several (gifts or whatever) there are ways to do things differently using production techniques to save time and effort.
It really is a good project and very satisfying to not put out several hundred dollars that can be spent on bullets and other reloading components. That's what this hobby machining thing is all about anyway.
I'll do my best to get the plans on this week.
Gary

Fantastic Gary, much appreciated!! I'll be watching for them!
Have a good end of year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the plans. And thank you especially for what you do. Continuing and perpetuating the machine and fabrication vocations is a wonderful thing. Not only does it give young minds (and hands) a very useful skill, it keeps them focused and hopefully on a good path to their future.

I have a couple of rests and started to build one of my own design (that I am now embarrassed to show). That is a really nice piece of work and there is no welding.

I would really like to see your plans.

Thank you for sharing.

These are all the pictures I have now. I can take some more when I can get around to it. I also have blue prints for each part. The young men I train go directly to machining jobs upon graduation. This kind of professional work helps them attain good positions in manufacturing.
Commercial rests of this quality sell in $250-$300 range. I wouldn't sell mine for that price.

If there is an interest I will try to post the prints and plans for this project. Be patient with me as I'm IT challenged. I think it has something to do with my advanced years!

BTW thanks for the compliment.

Gary

View attachment 78320View attachment 78321View attachment 78322

Back