Rifle rest

Here are a few more projects that I have pictures of. The first 2 rifle rests were done by students, The first vise was also done by a student, and I'm to blame for the rest. I hope that you'll find these interesting. Several things drive me doing these projects: First is to educate my students and help them realize that with skills they aren't locked into buying everything, therefore making them more independent. Second is to allow them to be creative thereby unlocking their ability to think for themselves. Thirdly many of my projects are created out of a lack of disposable income. I usually have much more time than I have funds. Fourth is the satisfaction factor, I just makes you feel great to do these things.
I'd like to thank everyone for the interest and the kind words.
Gary

100_1414.JPG100_1892.JPGhanger 001.jpgStock work 001.jpg100_3835.JPG100_3851.JPG100_3855.JPG100_3856.JPG100_3868.JPG

100_1414.JPG 100_1892.JPG hanger 001.jpg Stock work 001.jpg 100_3835.JPG 100_3851.JPG 100_3855.JPG 100_3856.JPG 100_3868.JPG

Are you building the stock for this rifle also? The rest looks great! I built one about 10 years ago very similar to yours but the base is different.

Here are a few more pictures of the rest and how it is used. The bags were purchased and filled with lead shot for weight. I also built the shooting bench. It is ambidextrous and made from heavy stuff and is very portable.
The rifle is a new build. Action is a 98 Mauser all tuned up and reworked, stock is a curly maple bench rest stock, stainless fluted heavy barrel with a Timney trigger, Redfield rings and bases and a Swift scope. Oh yeah..... .243 Winchester. Hoping to get it to shoot under 1/2 inch. The last 2 have done that well, so I'm optimistic. Should be done by mid July.

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. I'll have the prints for the rest on here this week. Stay tuned!!!!

View attachment 78467View attachment 78468View attachment 78469

The stock was roughed out by someone unknown to me. I've had it in my shop for 8-10 yrs. It should finish up pretty nice. It's a nice piece of curly maple. I've got the metal work done and have started on the stock. Hope to be shooting it by mid July. Thanks for your comments.
Gary

Gary I would be interested in any plans or info. You may have on the chasing hammer you posted.

Thanks
Brian

sent from my hand held hickymajig

will you consider selling copies of your blueprint
this project are outstanding

Ray,
The plans are posted earlier in the thread. You are welcome to copy and use them. Thank you for the kind remarks.
Gary

Back