Rifle rest

That surely does look nice, and I also would like to see not only plans, but a pic or two with how the rifle fits in it. I must admit that I have never used a rest of this type before. Nice job and I wish that I had had the options your students do, and especially the level of placement for jobs. That's truly gold!

................. I'll do my best to get the plans on this week.
Gary
Hello Gary
Beautiful teach and build !!!
Ditto on the PLANS
Did U post them here and if U did where are they ???
Would love a set
Thanks a mill in advance
aRM

Here are a few more pictures of the rest and how it is used. The bags were purchased and filled with lead shot for weight. I also built the shooting bench. It is ambidextrous and made from heavy stuff and is very portable.
The rifle is a new build. Action is a 98 Mauser all tuned up and reworked, stock is a curly maple bench rest stock, stainless fluted heavy barrel with a Timney trigger, Redfield rings and bases and a Swift scope. Oh yeah..... .243 Winchester. Hoping to get it to shoot under 1/2 inch. The last 2 have done that well, so I'm optimistic. Should be done by mid July.

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. I'll have the prints for the rest on here this week. Stay tuned!!!!

101_4024.JPG101_4025.JPG101_4026.JPG

101_4024.JPG 101_4025.JPG 101_4026.JPG

Here are the prints for the rifle rest. They vary some from the pictures but only because of availability of material for my shop. Thank you everyone for the interest and the opportunity to share this with others. As I believe : You are only limited by your imagination!

rif1.jpgrif2.jpgrif3.jpgrif4.jpgrif5.jpgrif6.jpgrif7.jpgrif8.jpgrif9.jpg

rif1.jpg rif2.jpg rif3.jpg rif4.jpg rif5.jpg rif6.jpg rif7.jpg rif8.jpg rif9.jpg

Gary, much thanks for taking the time to put up the plans and pictures! Looks like a great project, I'll have to move it to the top of my list!
Also, I'll reiterate the thanks from others for what you do. It often seems that the manual arts don't get the respect they deserve these days and people like you and others who are willing to teach what they know to the next generations are helping to keep these important skills alive.

Stan,
Thanks for your kind remarks. This trade has been good to me since I got started in 1972. I worked in industry for almost 25 years and have been teaching high school students since then. I don't think I could ask for much in satisfaction as these last 42 years have given me. One more year (maybe 2) and I'm going do this for a hobby!
I have some other neat projects I'll post in the future.
Gary

Well, I would wish that your retirement would be just as satisfying!

Looking forward to your future project posts.

Stan

Thanks, Gary, for posting this project and sharing the plans. Although I no longer shoot, or hunt, I have two brothers, and a son that do.
I will see if they want me to make one.
How do you like the table? Are there any changes you would make to it? Would you mind sharing the plans for it, too? I asume the legs are from a folding table. Were they bought new or repurposed?
I also thank you for your role in perpetuating the American Machinist. I wish I had that kind of training in High School. I recently retired from 20 years as a computer tech in the local school systems and nothing exists here in TN like that at the High School level, at least in the 3 districts that I worked in.

Chuck

Hello Gary
Many thanks for taking time out to post these plans
Was real obliging of U
Truly much appreciated
Would love to start one ASAP
LORD BLESS
aRM

Wow, Thanks for the pics and the plans. The projects are just beautiful. I see how the rest works now. Hadn't recognized a bag rest without the bags.

I also happen to be just starting a Mauser 98 project in 30-06. I need to make that rest for it now. By the way, I have .243 that shoots sub-moa as they say. It's a great deer and coyote gun! Sadly, I have never done my own rifle until now, so I'm starting a learning curve:nervous:. The .243 was a custom job that a friend sold me.

Thanks so much again for sharing.
Barry Lochridge

Back