Rockwell Delta 21-100 Restomod (not restore)

JimBuchanan

Registered
Registered
I can't restore this 21-100 vertical Rockwell because it is missing so many head parts and the base is rusted around ground level, so I'm going for function over form on this one. Maybe rescue is a more appropriate word to use. I will attempt to make or otherwise acquire as many parts as I can.

Through the shopping and purchasing process I realized how expensive these mills are from a demand and a scarcity point of view. So, at this point I will naively ask if there are parts houses or sources that have some of the missing head parts I need. There is not much on eBay.

So, I will be seeking out all topics of this forum pertaining to the Rockwell mills for advice and ideas to complete a high quality build. I always take a photo of the project, here still in the pickup before the fun begins. The rest of the parts are in cardboard boxes.

Attachments

• _DSC2621.jpg
    _DSC2621.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 46
Make sure and let us know your method of quill return spring installation.

I hope/trust you have most of the table parts-? As for the head, you could adapt another head to it such as a Bridgeport M or Rotex. They do come up for sale from time to time. Might be more expedient than trying to complete that one- depends on how much is missing
-Mark

@machPete99; Thank you, for the parting out lead. I will check it out. I forgot all about the old Yahoo groups.

I have most of the table parts and I'm currently assessing the spindle to motor pulley mechanics. I have heard of the Bridgeport head install on the Rockwell, but have not come across any howto's or Youtubes. My guess is more weight, loss of table to spindle distance, possibly cost. I remember the M head was compromised somehow. I'd like to read up on that idea though, if anyone has a link. . .

You might want to contact lost creek machinery, they have helped me source parts.

The Bridgeport M head doesn't have a back gear, but then the Rockwell doesn't either AFAIK
Is that what you meant about being compromised?

I guess my comment about the M head is indeed the lack of back gears and the non-R8 tool holding. The 3.5" quill travel doesn't really bother me. I just saw one youtube video modding the Rockwell RAM, but nothing on the actual use of a M head on a Rockwell mill.

The first step in this build is to start with the base. The mill must have been in an area that flooded a lot. The bottom of the base edge is rusted though in some spots with no damage around the top. I cut a 2 inch strip from around the bottom edge and got to a full thickness 1/8" wall. With no metal below the storage door, I welded a 2 inch strip to restore the door opening. The bottom re-enforcing is similar to the top with larger angle bar for the inner shelf support. The corner plates were drilled and tapped for 5/8" bolts with a nut snugged to the plates for alignment. The leveling feet as it were gave back the 2" cut from the bottom.

Attachments

• _DSC1206.jpg
    _DSC1206.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
When I was doing my evaluation of the 21-100, I was compiling a positive-negative list to help with the decision. The above mentioned base rust was definitely a negative. Here is a positive. Borrowing a hex key, I removed the RAM gear housing to check for mashed up teeth. What I found was what's in the photo, and that's not aluminum and the teeth are perfect. It looks to be bronze and has a weight to it, 1 lb 1oz to be exact. Does anyone else have this bronze or brass gear?

I had not heard of this before, so wondered when this change took place. In the files section of the old Yahoo groups I found a serial # list indicating year of manufacture. The one plate on the column indicated a serial # made in 1965. This is about midway thru the 4 decade production run. There has to be more out there.

Attachments

• _DSC1195-2.jpg
    _DSC1195-2.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 16
The bottom base is complete and the main base cleaned up and painted. I believe the latter production units were 2 tone, so that is what I tried to duplicate. I was missing a few key pieces of the head, including the spindle pulley, break, and spline sleeve. Thanks to a heads up from a forum member here, I was able to find those parts. And I was planning on making the spline sleeve. . . After looking at the pulley/break I don't know how I was going to make that since I don't have anything to go by.

There is one other piece I need, but I am all set to make it if I have to. The pulley housing. Even if one was loose out in the wild, I'm afraid to know the asking price. This is where the restomod part comes in. I want to take advantage of the inverter/VFD variable speed torque range to reduce the dependence on pulleys and other benefits. My solution may use 2 parallel plates for the head mounted on the bottom and motor mounted on top. More to follow on that.

Attachments

• _DSC2628.jpg
    _DSC2628.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 17
Back