Rockwell Delta 21-100 Restomod (not restore)

Nice work. She looks great, and I like the draw bar mod. Mike

Well, an epilogue of sorts. This 21-100 found a new home in Arizona in a production shop. I'm trying to finish up a 21-122 build with the 2 spindles, so I can start on a Bridgeport Series 1 J head. The 21-122 Vertical/Horizontal has a shop made spring loaded rapid quill lever. If of interest, I can post photos of the parts and build.

Well, an epilogue of sorts. This 21-100 found a new home in Arizona in a production shop. I'm trying to finish up a 21-122 build with the 2 spindles, so I can start on a Bridgeport Series 1 J head. The 21-122 Vertical/Horizontal has a shop made spring loaded rapid quill lever. If of interest, I can post photos of the parts and build.
Jim,
Nice build and I would be interested in seeing the quill set up.

JP

The table is the last big part of this build. I had previously filled 3 or 4 drill holes and now scrapped the surface. The table had a high spot or hill right in the middle, as indicated by a surface plate spinning at its center. The scrapping required to flatten, also allowed the removal of much surface damage. The only things left to do is rebuild a cast iron x axis wheel and build a z knee crank.

Oh, and I recently saw a quill quick lever handle return mechanism that I will try and detail.

I hope to compare and contrast this Rockwell knee mill with my square column bench gear head mill as to workpiece size capabilities and other features. I like the concept of a stationary spindle head with movable knee as the work space stays basically the same regardless of size. The bench mill head movements result in sitting down for short workpieces and standing for taller workpieces.

And I've gotten used to the 9" by 32" table of the bench mill versus the smaller 6x24" Rockwell table meaning the work envelope is larger. Has that size 21-100 table been a problem for other Rockwell users as far as heavier machining?
View attachment 439545
I miss not having the turret head, where I can swing the head to gain travel in the X axis. Mine is a Great basement mill, ( hard to get something bigger down the stairs). I may make a keyed, movable riser plate with tee-slots to locate parts on that I can slide on the table and keep reference to X. I do, however, have a Tree with a 54” table in the unheated garage. And it would be good to see your quill return spring setup. Thanks for posting!

Another guy anxiously awaiting your quill return spring setup. You’ve done great work, and thank you for sharing your progress.

Back