Rose Index

What he said ^^^^^^
The work piece is just being rotated in the vise. The Rose Index just provides surfaces to use a square against to insure that the rotation is correct.
Ted

My reason is because I don’t want to go through the complicated machining of the V in the ID to locate the work. The piece looks CNC’d and I don’t have that capability. And since I’m not going to add the hex feature either it’s easier to just make hub and put the three screws in it to hold the work securely. I’m not so worried about centering, yet. I have in my projects like making a key way and needed to reposition the shaft that this tool would have come in handy.

My reason is because I don’t want to go through the complicated machining of the V in the ID to locate the work. The piece looks CNC’d and I don’t have that capability. And since I’m not going to add the hex feature either it’s easier to just make hub and put the three screws in it to hold the work securely. I’m not so worried about centering, yet. I have in my projects like making a key way and needed to reposition the shaft that this tool would have come in handy.
It does have a V in the ID. Don't you have a file? ;):pickaxe: That would be FNF instead of CNC. File-N-File.

I too watched Tubalcain's video and had no idea I needed one of those. Tool acquisition syndrome is right...:guilty:

Some things just get my TAS going and it’s because I’ve been in that situation and had to bodge something and it wasn’t fun or precise.

I would do filing if it was as easy as that. But it is not that simple. I couldnt file it as “Rose” does because the V is made as the ID is made, not after. The top of the v and the bottom of the V are at the ID. The sides of the V less than the ID. I’m sure there’s an engineering or proper machinist way to put that, but I’m neither.

How come I can't find this on Amazon or even eBay?

Does it go by another name? I'd rather buy one than buy a large piece of steel or aluminum to make one.

Just do a Google and it comes up. Hold on to your shorts, it ain’t cheap. I commented to Mr.Pete it was the same price as buying a broach, doh!

There might be a market open for it on eBay or Amazon. I can't find it there. Someone contact SHARS.

It strikes me that the V that serves to hold the round work can be most any angle, shape, even not parallel to the outside faces and off center and not matter an nickels worth. It is the outside surfaces of the block that are the rotational references. The work just needs to be held tightly to the block. Your mill vice provides the constant axial reference for the work. In order to maintain the outside diameter of the work as a reference, I.E. the multi sided work concentric to the round, your mill vice has to be gripping the round. This entire exercise is just another example of maintaining a constant reference.

Back