Rose Index

It strikes me that the V that serves to hold the round work can be most any angle, shape, even not parallel to the outside faces and off center and not matter an nickels worth. It is the outside surfaces of the block that are the rotational references. The work just needs to be held tightly to the block. Your mill vice provides the constant axial reference for the work. In order to maintain the outside diameter of the work as a reference, I.E. the multi sided work concentric to the round, your mill vice has to be gripping the round. This entire exercise is just another example of maintaining a constant reference.
Good points. For that matter, the round portion of the ID is equally non-critical to be round or centered, as far as i can surmise. The key is that the clamping screw and V-saddle align to allow proper clamping.

The reason this fact is valuable to me is that I do not have a rotary table to cut the partial circle. I may cut a square, hex, etc.

It also strikes me that one could mill the several 60 and 90 degree angles with good accuracy using angle blocks against a static reference. For many, perhaps the bottom of their kurt vise. I may need to take a slightly different approach but same concept.

I will add this to the list and probably make it from aluminum. It seems the most force the tool should see is the axial load on the clamping screw threads.

nobody has used one yet so we’re all guessing. My concern is if it’s not reasonably centered dollars to donuts the direction i want to rotate will interfere with like the table or something. As it is I thought Mr.Pete had to lift the work enough to clear the square point of the index to the next flat. So the ability to hold securely is necessary or what’s the point if you loose register. Mr.Pete would probably have some cool simple way of making that V in the ID too. Which I think would be the best way with just one grub screw to hold it to the work. But IMHO it needs to be steel just because even steel gets nicks and dings in it that would throw off the measurement. Until I get practical use of the tool it’s all conjecture but a couple of uses and for me it will become clear what’s useful and whats over engineering. It’s why I got 2 plates to make indexes with :)

As someone who operated a manufacturing business most of my life I learned that the KISS principle was most usually the best for my purposes.
Don't work to tenths when the product doesn't benefit. Complicating things usually leads to more errors. Time, $ & morale wasted!

As for the Rose blocks. There are limits to the sizes that can be accommodated. The manufacturer acknowledges that by producing just two sizes.

Ways to get around the limits: block the work up in the vice, use a jig to hold the work above the vice, block the vice up. Or better yet, use a different method more appropriate to the product.

If you want to push the limits, that can be a fun exercise, after you've learned the benefits of the work of those that have gone before you.
Above all, have fun, be safe, and try not to peck with the people who take things too seriously.

nobody has used one yet so we’re all guessing. My concern is if it’s not reasonably centered dollars to donuts the direction i want to rotate will interfere with like the table or something. As it is I thought Mr.Pete had to lift the work enough to clear the square point of the index to the next flat. So the ability to hold securely is necessary or what’s the point if you loose register. Mr.Pete would probably have some cool simple way of making that V in the ID too. Which I think would be the best way with just one grub screw to hold it to the work. But IMHO it needs to be steel just because even steel gets nicks and dings in it that would throw off the measurement. Until I get practical use of the tool it’s all conjecture but a couple of uses and for me it will become clear what’s useful and whats over engineering. It’s why I got 2 plates to make indexes with :)
If you have a round bar clamped in a vise and you loosen the vise and rotate the bar and reclamp it, how will you lose register? The fixed jaw of the vise is your Y-axis register. If X-axis register is your worry, use a vise or table work stop to reposition it in that direction. What am I missing?

Tom

I plan on using 1/2 moon pieces of steel and welded to the bottom to create the v for 3 point contact. Think of a woodruff key but larger to fit the bore, while maintaining a 2" overall capacity. This would be much easier to create as opposed to trying to mill a v. And yes to buy this is very expensive. I think $ 150.00 each is too much. Considering once the CNC program is written it's a cash cow.

when I say lose register I’m saying if the index doesn’t stay in place/comes loose then you’ve lost register/your place in relation to where it was originally. I guess it’s in relation to the original cut that I’m trying to index to the next thing I want to drill or mill. I don’t have the tech vernacular to convey properly.

If you have a round bar clamped in a vise and you loosen the vise and rotate the bar and reclamp it, how will you lose register? The fixed jaw of the vise is your Y-axis register. If X-axis register is your worry, use a vise or table work stop to reposition it in that direction. What am I missing?

Tom
I was confused about the use also. Watch the video in post #7. This is for rotational indexing, not X,Y. You can use a square on the table against the Rose index to index the rotation of the part.
R

I was confused about the use also. Watch the video in post #7. This is for rotational indexing, not X,Y. You can use a square on the table against the Rose index to index the rotation of the part.
R
I did watch the video. A very innovative devise, IHMO. I was addressing C-bag's concern about losing indexing because the Rose Index isn’t symmetrical. My point was the work piece isn't positionally* indexed by the Rose Index, but by the vise, hence it doesn’t matter that the Rose Index isn’t symmetrical.

Tom

* Did i just make up a word?

Back