Ruger 22lr barrel replacement

Ischgl99

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am looking to get into precision rimfire type competitions and will need to get a new 22lr gun since the two I have are tubular magazines and it would be better to have a detachable magazine. I also want a bolt action in my collection.

With so many things out of stock, I was considering finding something in a 22lr bolt action and building what I would need over time. I would probably just shoot what ever I get for the time being and then upgrade components if I decide that style of competition is for me. While doing some research, it looks like the Ruger American rimfire rifles have a pressed and pinned barrel that Ruger says are not replaceable, is it possible to replace the barrels on these ourselves and Ruger is just being overly cautious? I’m not interested in the chassis version that apparently you can change the barrels, I prefer the long range target style that appears to have the pinned barrel. I haven’t done any gunsmithing yet, but plan on learning that and thought the 22 would be a good place to start.

I’m looking at other brands as well, but trying to keep this under $500 for the gun until I decide if I want to spend the money on something I would be more competitive with.

Interesting rifles, but not a chance I will spend that kind of money on a 22.

Did you look at the CZ .22 bolt action? They have quite a good reputation.

Personally I am a big fan of Ruger 10/22's. Everything is replaceable. You can even get after market billet stainless or brass receivers. My 10/22 with Volquerson trigger pack and Green Mountain barrel on a Hogue over mold stock shoots better than I do. I think someone even sells a 80% 10/22 receiver that you can finish yourself... I don't think it was much cheaper than a finished receiver though.

I would second the CZ. I have a 452 training rifle that everyone that fires it loves it. Wonderful gun. IMHO best 22 ever made, even against my winchester 69 match rifle.

Also, a 10/22 is going to have a lot of bang for the buck simply due to the shear numbers and therefore availability of every upgrade imaginable. I think starting with an American is false economy.

Yes, I am looking at CZ. They have a great reputation and look like a better option as far as upgrades, but the shops around here usually don’t have them. I could probably order one online if I need to, and might go that way since they don’t cost much more than the Ruger.

I thought about the 10/22 since is is so customizable, but I would prefer a bolt action since I already have a semiauto. I haven’t ruled it out, but it is low on my list right now.

I live in the Peoples Republik of CT, so there are a lot of hoops to jump through to use an 80% receiver, and I can’t use a pistol grip stock with a semiauto if I decide at a later time to go that way.

I think starting with an American is false economy.
It’s sounding like that. I had them as an option since they are available pretty much everywhere, but the more I read about CZ, the more I like it.

I have a CZ455 now, if I was starting off again I would be looking at Bergerra rifles and after that I would be looking at CZ.

All of that is predicted on a voodoo being out of budget, of the budget can be made to work buy a voodoo.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A vudoo is definitely out of the budget. I saw reviews of the Bergara, haven’t seen one in person, they sound really good. I would have to use an existing scope for now with that one instead of buying a new one as I planned, but could be an option.

A vudoo is definitely out of the budget. I saw reviews of the Bergara, haven’t seen one in person, they sound really good. I would have to use an existing scope for now with that one instead of buying a new one as I planned, but could be an option.
I've shot a Bergerra, a CZ 455, and a CZ 457 on the same day under the same conditions, the Bergerra was slightly more consistently accurate than the 455 or the 457. Between the 455 and the 457 I cannot pick out any differences and the same barrels will fit both of them. The differences between all three are pretty small, I was shooting sub MOA at 100 yards with all three of them.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Back