Ruger 22lr barrel replacement

Here’s the website for the series. They also have a centerfire series where the targets go out to 1,000+ yards. I would like to try that out too, but need another rifle :)

My brother has a 338 lapua with a scope almost as long as the rifle. Awesome rifle and it reaches way out there.

My brother has a 338 lapua with a scope almost as long as the rifle. Awesome rifle and it reaches way out there.
Most people use one of the 6mm caliber cartridges for this, low recoil and great long range ballistics. I don’t think I would have a shoulder left if I shot all day with a 338 Lapua lol.

I did a little research on this competition in California and didn't find anything. It sounds interesting. It has been many decades since I did any competitive shooting. That was small bore prone at 50 yards, 50 meters, 100 yards, and 100 meters. Just about everybody was shooting perfect scores with the number of X's determining the winner. I didn't have a scope so I was only competitive in the iron sight matches. My son-in-law has one of my old Remington's in his safe. Maybe I should get it back from him and see how I do with my old fart eyes.
When you went to Perry, they didn't have the 200 yard stage back then? I know that at one time, they used to shoot at 200 yards during the Nationals. I have been to Perry 14 times.. all Service Rifle, Match Rifle, Prone Rifle and Palma..and will be going back again this year.. SBR F-Class

When I got into High Power competitive shooting, I went the route of build as I go. It ended up costing me far more than if I had just gone out and built or purchased the right rifle for the task. Add to that the frustration of spending the money in the process only to have the results be far less than what I expected.

In my mind, there are really only two rifles that fit the bill in this category. 1) Anschutz and 2) Vudoo, bolt rifles. I have several friends that have both and 3 out of 4 prefer the Anschutz.

You can always buy used and upgrade barrel, trigger, etc or save your money for optics or both.

Last edited:
You aren't wrong on Barrel, Chamber, and as important if you go that far, lot matched ammo. The problem with this is cost. There are guys still shooting an old 40x action that has been blueprinted with custom barrels. Some do quite well still, but at that point it is still a custom gun that gets into a much higher price category.

As to actions, while yes they are all similar in that they are round tubes, they do play an important role. Ignition (not just trigger) is is a huge factor in rimfire and there is plenty of debate around that whole area, but when discussing factory guns with what I would call reasonable prices, you can't really start comparing buying custom barrels, etc.

I also have a love of the old rifles. This is a pair of consecutive serial numbered 40xb's from the Air Force run by Remington. Bought through CMP so unfortunately the bolt serials don't match, but they have no wear on the lugs or anything. Problem now days is having someone to leave them to who will appreciate them for what they are.
i-kL38W8Q-XL.jpg
Those are two beautiful rifles.

Hope you can find the right person. I would hate to see someone remove the scopes or bounce these around like they are just two hardware store 22's. That happened to a friend of mine. The family screamed to get his Anschutz competition 22's, both beautiful and highly precision rifles. They pulled the scopes off, (same design as yours), put some cheap scopes on and gave them to the kids to play with. I am glad that he was not here to see it.

Those are two beautiful rifles.

Hope you can find the right person. I would hate to see someone remove the scopes or bounce these around like they are just two hardware store 22's. That happened to a friend of mine. The family screamed to get his Anschutz competition 22's, both beautiful and highly precision rifles. They pulled the scopes off, (same design as yours), put some cheap scopes on and gave them to the kids to play with. I am glad that he was not here to see it.
I hopefully don't have to worry about it for a long time, but they will definitely go to someone who knows what they are. There are still some of the younger generation who seem to be interested, but as with most things it's about what they think looks cool. My hope to is educate them a bit about some this old stuff :)

When I got into High Power competitive shooting, I went the route of build as I go. It ended up costing me far more than if I had just gone out and built or purchased the right rifle for the task. Add to that the frustration of spending the money in the process only to have the results be far less than what I expected.

In my mind, there are really only two rifles that fit the bill in this category. 1) Anschutz and 2) Vudoo, bolt rifles. I have several friends that have both and 3 out of 4 prefer the Anschutz.

You can always buy used and upgrade barrel, trigger, etc or save your money for optics or both.
Anschutz and Vudoo are so far out of the budget that they are not a consideration. I would also like to start doing this in the near future and not years from now after I have saved for top of the line. Money spent on this rifle takes away from my other hobbies, like machining, so I need to plan accordingly if I want to enjoy those as well.

The discussion might be moot as well, I discovered yesterday the bearings in my mill are damaged and will need replacing soon. A new set is $900, so there goes the funds for a new rifle.

No 200 yard rimfire when I went to Camp Perry. Don't remember the year. Either 1966 or 67 because I got my Anchutz the summer of 1965 when I was in Germany on a summer vacation to Europe. I shot small bore prone most of the week and then one team all position match towards the end of the week. Could not find any results for those years online and have reached out to the NRA to see if they have the results.

Back