Saving a Craftsman 6" 101.07301

Are you using adjustable pitch pulleys on the motor and countershaft? (wondering why the belts are so deep in the pulleys)

Yes, they are adjustable. Slight speed reduction from the motor to the lathe, also negates the need for a tensioner of some sort.

Making chips! Turned down the 7/8” turret tool post bolt to be threaded 3/8” to have more meat to bolt to the spare cross slide.

Hmmm. Is there a photo around that shows the back side of one of their jaws? There was once a US made 3-Jaw chuck brand that came with only three reversible jaws. I don't recall the name nor where I saw it. But the side of the jaw teeth that contacts the threads in the scroll only had single line contact with the scroll when gripping the ID of a work piece. So they wore out pretty quickly. I can't recall the maker's name nor where the photo of the back side of the jaws might be. But at least the jaws and scroll were made of hardened steel.

The jaws on these Taig chucks are two piece. The threaded part that engages the scroll is steel. The soft aluminum jaws bolt to the threaded steel base. Switching jaws from outer to inner grip can be done by unbolting the soft jaw and flipping it around, then rebolting it to the steel base. If you need close accuracy you can easily touch up the jaws before you set your work piece. They are well made chucks, but, like these 6x18 C-man / Atlas lathes, they work best within their limits.

And for $20 each, they affordably get you up and running with a good level of accuracy.

The jaws on these Taig chucks are two piece. The threaded part that engages the scroll is steel. The soft aluminum jaws bolt to the threaded steel base. Switching jaws from outer to inner grip can be done by unbolting the soft jaw and flipping it around, then rebolting it to the steel base. If you need close accuracy you can easily touch up the jaws before you set your work piece. They are well made chucks, but, like these 6x18 C-man / Atlas lathes, they work best within their limits.

And for $20 each, they affordably get you up and running with a good level of accuracy.
3-Jaw chucks with 2-piece jaws normally come with a set of three hardened and ground steel removable jaws match-marked (numbered) to show which of the three master jaws they are matched up to. There are standards for the dimensions of the master jaws so that you can buy both replacement hard jaws as well as soft (usually aluminum) jaws and know that they will fit the master jaws. One thing that you do NOT want to do is to use soft jaws for routine turning operations. They will go out of tolerance fairly quickly and are easily damaged. So before buying any chuck that comes with soft jaws already installed, make sure that the vendor offers hard jaws to fit, buy a set with the chuck, and as soon as they arrive, install the hard jaws and use them unless you have a specific need for soft jaws.

Sounds good. Except that the TH42 is a 10" swing lathe, not a 6" (standard US practice).

Sounds good. Except that the TH42 is a 10" swing lathe, not a 6" (standard US practice).

Ok, now you are blowing my mind, lol!

I just bought this lathe advertised as a 6” Atlas TH42 and it has the TH42 stamped label on it and you are saying it actually is a 10”? How can I measure or maybe look at a serial number or other indicator to verify this on my lathe?

I want to make sure before I buy any missing parts or accessories.

Back