Saving a Craftsman 6" 101.07301

Do you have a photo of the machine? Or if you have the machine in front of you, put a dead center in the spindle and measure the distance from the point of the center to the rear edge of the top of the front way. If about 5" it's a 10". If about 3" it's a 6". And if about 6" it's a 12".

4677B481-047D-4951-9F27-BFE60995F82F.png
Do you have a photo of the machine? Or if you have the machine in front of you, put a dead center in the spindle and measure the distance from the point of the center to the rear edge of the top of the front way. If about 5" it's a 10". If about 3" it's a 6". And if about 6" it's a 12".

I will have to measure when I get home from work. Don’t know if you can tell from the photo.

Well I’ll be dipped! I went to buy a 6” lathe and ended up with a 10” lathe. lol So I measured from the center down to the top of the ways as instructed above and it was 10”! Is there a way to tell age by the serial number. This one is 56446?

You did well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that is 10F. You can tell that it's a 10" by the lead screw FWD-OFF-REV gearbox on the front (and by some other clues). And that it is an F-Series by the legs and the cross feed knob. Also, inspection of the front spindle bearing bearing cap reveals that it has Timken bearings. And it has a Horizontal countershaft. So the first part of the model number is TH. However, guessing the bed length is iffy. Choices are 36", 42", 48" and 54:. Which correspond to distance between centers of 18", 24", 30" and 36".

One word of caution. Never leave it sitting motor off with the half nut lever down (engaged). If the lead screw gear box is not in the OFF position, if you start the motor the carriage will surprise you by starting to move. Depending upon your reflexes, how much attention you are paying, and where the carriage is, you could have a crash. Which will definitely spoil your day.

All of the records having been lost years ago, the standard way of dating an Atlas 10" or a Craftsman early model 12" with Timken bearings is to quote the dates engraved on the bearing cups and/or cones. If you ever have occasion ti pull the spindle. We think that these dates were put on by Timken and Atlas obviously did not practice FIFO (First In First Out Inventory management) so there are numerous examples of later serial numbers having earlier dates and the left and right bearings having different dates so it is only good for about +/- a year. But a rough estimate from your serial number is late 1944 or early 1945. Also, the dating appears to have stopped around late 1952. And the 6" and Mills and Shapers never have dates. Neither do any babbit bearing lathes.

How do the printed change gears hold up ? Will these work on a Atlas TH42 lathe? If so I would like to down load files.
I really don't think you wanna use printed gears. They'll hold up just as well as any other stratified, non-structural, thermoplastic will hold up, eh?

But, they would make dandy patterns for casting your own gears out of any of several pot metal combinations. And those would hold up much better.

How do the printed change gears hold up ? Will these work on a Atlas TH42 lathe? If so I would like to down load files.
They would hold up fine. Download the files and print them out. Lot of people use them without problems.

Here is the Tubalcain/Mr Pete 222 on the gears printed from thingaverse and tested:

He was not able to damage them on a 12 inch lathe. The 6 is much lighter. Evidence of testing says they are fine.

Back