Saving a Logan 825

very very nice! Making a new tail stock quill is no trivial task. I'm about 1/2 way through doing the same tail stock extension mod on my SB heavy 9, just need to thread the housing extension. Like you I've added thrust bearings to both ends, should make it nice'n'smooth. In future if you need a tool ask around on here - Ulmadoc helped me out a great deal with the loan of 1/2-20 LH acme tap and a gift of some matching all thread.

Thanks. I was a little surprised to see that the original tailstock didn't even include a bushing for the screw. I guess it just gets much less use than the cross slide and didn't matter. The thrust bearings and bushing make it very smooth. There is still plenty to do on this machine, but I feel like it's already come a long way.

There is still plenty to do on this machine, but I feel like it's already come a long way.

..........and so have you! (Not meant in a demeaning way at all! :) )

Beautiful work!
Every project we do teaches us things to do and things to avoid.
You seem to have many of the former.

I sometimes hesitate to attack such projects myself for fear the the lathe is unusable for the next two years!

-brino

Not a lot of progress on the Logan lately. We moved over the summer and been focused on getting the house and shop stuff in order. A while back I did find a Logan?? cross slide that was much longer and included t-slots. It was different from the lever actuated ones I had seen because it had a provision for the cross slide nut. With a much longer contact with the carriage, eliminating the compound, and a new nut for the screw, it is very rigid. I machined some t-nuts to fit the slots and a riser to mount the toolpost today. So far I'm impressed with the change.

vtquhm7hcVhnftEK_jmq-t94CSNcPnE6l1AqMWwS5QNTzs5G532GgpAlkDjkWj1WDABKDifdRNQGAmPBCz5MLB91BgYyZ6pOrC4ev1y7UVBNSAlR_bJU1HqTE8AjCydtaMRnv_taIus=w2400

My plan is to leave the other cross slide assembled and slide it on when I need to use it, just swapping over the toolpost. Now that I'm getting back to making chips, I also plan to revisit the cross slide dial assembly I made a while back. I want to extend it so I can gain about an inch of additional travel. Plans are in the works and pictures will be forthcoming.

Back