SB Model A wiring quandary.

Post# 11 -- the red wire and the red with yellow sleeve would be the start (reversing) wires I think
If it looks differently now then show me the terminal board again

Last edited:
OK then this should work for you:
You need to splice and extend the red and red/yellow wires to reach the switch, and add switch jumper wires as shownCH790-120vacGE.jpeg

This is fanTASTic. Thank you very much. I got the motor up and running after replacing the bearings but it's still not humming along as I'd liked so what I may do is go with what I've got for now and when I replace the motor in a month or so rewire it actually. Thank you all again for the massive help.

1/2 HP is a bit on the light side for a 9A- maybe consider a 3/4 HP? Best wishes, M

I was wondering about that actually. Does the added horsepower give me more torque?

The 1/2 HP you have now should be powerful enough for general use- unless it isn't running correctly. If the start capacitor
is many decades old it probably should be replaced. Cheaper to do that than a new motor
I'm assuming you checked the internal centrifugal start switch when you had it apart and it looked ok
A capacitor start motor must reach full operating speed to develop maximum power

If the capacitor leads are shorted together, the red and red/yellow wires should measure a few ohms resistance
providing the start winding and centrifugal switch are OK and not open-circuit

Last edited:
Back