Sb9a Using Er32?

One of the great advantages to the ER system is that you can pass the work through the collet and out the spindle. The set up you're considering negates that possibility. I am not familiar with how the chucks attach to the SB9 spindle but would try to buy or make one instead of giving up the pass-through capability ... but that's just me. Matthemuppet did one for his Atlas - could you do something like he did?

As to the boring head in the tailstock idea, I would not do that. Boring requires rigidity and there is too much play in the ram for this to work well. You will be much better off using a bar in a good holder locked in the tool post.

Making a ER chuck for your spindle really isn't very hard (I did it--so anyone should be able to:D) plus you will really like the pass thru feature.

A while back either HSM or machinist had a ER40 collet chuck project . The ER40 goes up to 1 1/8 I believe an easy make .

Thanks; I'm glad I held off on my purchases so I have time to digest your responses and explore options. It sounds like some fabricating will be required as the ER32 chuck doesn't really work well in a SB9A without some way to secure it properly, and no products answer that for this popular style lathe. Seems like if I make one for myself, I can become rich by making multiple ones and selling them and then retiring to Tahiti :)

Thanks Brino, I'll be studying your interesting build and try one before purchasing any ER-32 collets. I had thought to go the 3C route with the drawbar but it was limiting the work diameter; you've given me another project to do now

Brino, I'm now looking through your threads and you mention this company as actually making these:

http://www.bealltool.com/products/turning/colletchuck.php

I'm thinking my SB9A headstock threat might be 1.5X8? 1.5 means the distance of the thread and the 8 is the TPI, right? It's been so long since I looked that up.

So you decided to make your own rather than purchase the Beall Tool collet chuck?

Just buy the mt3 chuck and collets now and make chips. Build the pass-through chuck body later, using the nut, wrench collets from the first one

ETA in fact, that is such I deal I am going to do exactly that for my Logan

Like Brino, I also own a Beall Tools ER-32 collet chuck to fit my Sherline lathe. It is well made and fits the register on my lathe quite well - I get only 0.0006" runout, which is fine for my use. With ETM collets the run out is lower but I can't recall what the number is. No machining is involved to use the chuck, although I would suggest you check or true the rear face of the chuck to be sure it's flat. You can, of course, make your own or buy a kit. Whether you will achieve the concentricity required of a good ER chuck is another matter.

Beall is a good company and my experience with the owner suggests that he really takes care of his customers. These tools are intended for woodworkers, not metal munchers. Still, I would join Brino in giving this guy's chucks a thumbs up.

The 1.5 is the thread diameter and the 8 is tpi.

So you decided to make your own rather than purchase the Beall Tool collet chuck?

Nope. To be clear I bought the Beall rather than make my own.

I could (probably!) have pulled off the internal taper, but the offset-lip in the nut is another thing.

Like others have done you could purchase a nut and make the threaded adaptor.
As mentioned above @mattthemuppet did a nice one here:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/er25-collet-chuck-for-atlas-618.41636/

It would be a fun project and a great learning experience, I just don't have the time.....

-brino

EDIT:

1) @mikey nailed the lathe spindle thread definition above.

2) I also have nothing but praise for Beall Tools. My two collet chucks were flawless (two different lathes), and Mr Beall himself answered a few questions by email on another product.

Last edited:
Back