Scraping Class in GA-Anybody interested?

Re: UPDATE Scraping Class in GA-Anybody interested?

Sorry everyone of the students signed up for being late in writing you as I said. I just have so much to do here at home to finish up after my trip. I hope to have it written and sent to you by the end of the weekend.
Rich

THIS CLASS IS FULL as of today 2/17/2013.............If your interested we have others in CA, WI and IA this year. The host of the GA class said he will do another next year if you want to wait. I am willing to teach anywhere in the world as long as I am safe..ha ha.

The other classes still have room, so if you want to attend, the sooner you sign up the better.

UPDATE:

The class is full and a week from today there will be 10 students just getting started in their quest to learn to hand scrape and learn how to rebuild their machinery back home. The class students are coming from:1 from Norway, 1 from PA, 1 from FL, 1 from MO, 1 from NC, 5 from GA and the teacher is from MN. Most will stay for 5 days.

I shipped down 450 pounds of scraping equipment a couple of days ago. Tommy Brooks who is 1 hour SW of Atlanta in Pine Mountain has prepared his home shop for us. Our Co-Host Craig Sudderth has coordinated all the mailings. Those of you still thinking about learning, we still are hoping to do classes in WI, IA, CA and MN this year but haven't got enough students who have expressed interest. We need to have at least 6 students per 3 day weekend class to make it happen. If your interested, check out the other posts in this forum and let us know. If you have a 2 car garage shop or bigger we can talk about you hosting a class.

We will keep you posted and after the class, hopefully the students will tell you about the class I know I am anxious as heck to teach the guys. :)) Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
First day of the class..
:anyone:
I arrived yesterday and some of the others did too, so far.... Tommy's shop looks sweet!
Wish us luck..10 men from all over the place ...I am looking forward to all the questions about machine rebuildng. Donald brought his Mini CNC Mill that looks like the fly cut the ways and stopped. Jim brought his Sweedish mill, Tommy has his 9" South Bend apart, Tom have the saddle and table off his Bridgeport, lots of fun stuff to scrape.....will Update more tonight with some pic's. Have a great day!

Rich

Re: Scraping Class in GA April 2013-PHOTO'S

DAY 1 Update.

Today's PIc's. Tommy's shop, Jan from Normay, Tommy and Jim, Jim 1/2 moon flaking, Tom bump scraping, Bill testing his depth, Craig bluing his part. 8AM to 6:30PM. It was a good day!!

DSC01918.JPGDSC01910.JPGDSC01911.JPGDSC01913.JPGDSC01916.JPGDSC01917.JPGDSC01920.JPGDSC01921.JPG

DSC01918.JPG DSC01910.JPG DSC01911.JPG DSC01913.JPG DSC01916.JPG DSC01917.JPG DSC01920.JPG DSC01921.JPG

Re: Scraping Class in GA April 2013 - PHOTO'S

Day 4.

5 Students stayed. I am tired...so will write more later. But here are some more photo's.

DSC01925.JPGDSC01926.JPGDSC01929.JPGDSC01931.JPGDSC01937.JPGDSC01939.JPGDSC01933.JPGDSC01936.JPG

DSC01925.JPG DSC01926.JPG DSC01929.JPG DSC01931.JPG DSC01937.JPG DSC01939.JPG DSC01933.JPG DSC01936.JPG

Re: Scraping Class in GA April 2013 - PHOTO'S

Richard in the picture of me scraping the knee for my mill, notice that i am scraping the right side of the box ways. immediately to the left of where i'm scraping is a flat ridge about an inch higher, and also the same thing on the opposite side. although you can't see if from the picture, the surface is marked up about as bad as the ways were when i started to scrape them. looks like the discoloration and marks on this surface came from dirt and metal chips rubbing on them over the years. when placing the saddle on top of the knee in this place i checked the distance between the knee surface in this area and the saddle and it measured .010. so the parts aren't touching. here is my question: should i scrape and flake this surface so it doesn't look so bad? i suppose i could use some steel wool or 1000 grit sandpaper and take a lot of the ugliness out. but it would probably look better if it were scraped and flaked. thanks, Jim

Yes, I would sand it to look like it was ground as it is clearance . The guy who owned it probably blew it off with an air hose and got trash up under there...The machine rebuilders best friend is a guy who cleans his machine with an air hose, :)) I always tell them to turn up the pressure so it really gets down in there and you need to call me sooner...ha ha.

It would be your choice to scrape it. I probaly wouldn't and try to keep it looking original. But You will probably keep it and might want it looking nice as you will be looking at it for years. You may want to make a way wiper. I usually don't like to put on covers as one forgets to clean under there and it get screwed up faster unless you check under there a lot.

Thanks...Rich

Yes, I would sand it to look like it was ground as it is clearance . The guy who owned it probably blew it off with an air hose and got trash up under there...The machine rebuilders best friend is a guy who cleans his machine with an air hose, :)) I always tell them to turn up the pressure so it really gets down in there and you need to call me sooner...ha ha.

It would be your choice to scrape it. I probaly wouldn't and try to keep it looking original. But You will probably keep it and might want it looking nice as you will be looking at it for years. You may want to make a way wiper. I usually don't like to put on covers as one forgets to clean under there and it get screwed up faster unless you check under there a lot.

Thanks...Rich

Many thanks Richard, sand it i will.

Back