Scraping Class in GA-Anybody interested?

I live in GA will you be doing this again next year I would like to attend.Thanks.

Tommy Brooks said he would do an annual class in jest, but scroll down this thread and private message him and ask him.
I would love to.....Rich

photo (2).JPGphoto (4).JPGphoto (5).JPGphoto.JPG

Thought I'd post a few pics showing the progress on the Abene mill I started scraping on in the class. Have some work to do on the table, but things are moving along. Howdy to all my classmates.

photo (1).JPG photo (2).JPG photo (4).JPG photo (5).JPG photo.JPG

View attachment 53301View attachment 53302View attachment 53303View attachment 53304

Thought I'd post a few pics showing the progress on the Abene mill I started scraping on in the class. Have some work to do on the table, but things are moving along. Howdy to all my classmates.

Gearco is another example of someone with a need and when trained right, you can see what one can accomplish. One of the students in the Dallas class we had 3 years ago said he had read the Connelly book 3 times and still didn't get it.
We did a 3 day 12 hour a day class down there and he was able to scrape the ways of his South Bed Heavy when he was done. Scraping is easy but knowing where and how much to take off is the secret. I ask my students when they are done with the class to share and pass on the knowledge I teach them someday. :tiphat:

photo 5.jpgphoto.JPGphoto 3.jpgphoto 7.jpgphoto 9.jpgHere are pics of the finished Abene mill i started in the class. Thanks to Richard for the skillset and hello to my classmates.

photo.JPG photo 3.jpg photo 7.jpg photo 9.jpg photo 5.jpg

[QUOTEHere are pics of the finished Abene mill i started in the class. Thanks to Richard for the skillset and hello to my classmates.[/QUOTE]

Greetings from Jan in Norway. Wow! What a juvel this is! Congratulations on a superb job. . I see you have a pair of other hi-end machines also, and a super-clean and spacious workshop.. you should see small shed.. PS! In case you need a slotting attachment http://www.fvmab.se/maskiner/693/stickapparat-abene

Jan, great to hear from you and thanks for the nice comments. On the slotting head I don't think i need it: others who know more may correct me, but since this mill is both vertical and horizontal the vertical position allows you to do the same thing as the slotting head does for a horizontal machine. all the best, Jim
[QUOTEHere are pics of the finished Abene mill i started in the class. Thanks to Richard for the skillset and hello to my classmates.

Greetings from Jan in Norway. Wow! What a juvel this is! Congratulations on a superb job. . I see you have a pair of other hi-end machines also, and a super-clean and spacious workshop.. you should see small shed.. PS! In case you need a slotting attachment http://www.fvmab.se/maskiner/693/stickapparat-abene[/QUOTE]

Jan, great to hear from you and thanks for the nice comments. On the slotting head I don't think i need it: others who know more may correct me, but since this mill is both vertical and horizontal the vertical position allows you to do the same thing as the slotting head does for a horizontal machine. all the best, Jim

Hi again Jim, see your point re. the Abene's capacity. It is a special machine, and since you are also blessed with the quill-head version, what else can you need? PS! I have aquired the Schaublin SV52 as depicted below myself (as bought, ie. a "before" shot..)View attachment 54666, and will start a thread on the resto as I think I am in need of Richards comments/advice before diving in too deep.. (IF I do a paint job, it will definitively not be as nice as yours..)

Hi again Jim, see your point re. the Abene's capacity. It is a special machine, and since you are also blessed with the quill-head version, what else can you need? PS! I have aquired the Schaublin SV52 as depicted below myself (as bought, ie. a "before" shot..)View attachment 54666, and will start a thread on the resto as I think I am in need of Richards comments/advice before diving in too deep.. (IF I do a paint job, it will definitively not be as nice as yours..)

Really like your Shaublin; first time i've ever seen one and it looks like a very nice machine. Guess the only hindsight comments i'd make about a refurb is that i didn't think it would take as long as it did to do the work. I've spent 4 months non-stop working on mine and there are still a couple of things i need to do. Getting the old paint and filler off the castings proved time consuming as well as building the uneven surfaces up with new filler and paint. One tool i'd recommend is a needle scraper; it makes short work of paint removal, but even then you'll have a lot of wire brushing and cleaning to do. As it turns out the scraping work is a small (although essential) part of the overall work. Good luck with it and please post some pictures as you progress.

Phil,

This is the class Bill took, Not many pictures of him, he's in the black T-shirt. I wish we had taken a class photo, maybe next time. Tommy the host (the one tall fellow with the big smile standing next to Jim (Gearco) showing their practice plates. Jan came from Norway to take the class...showing the small dovetail straight-edge. It was a great class. We talked about doing another class next year. I hope everyone all is healthy and can come for an advanced class or just a reunion. Maybe someday after I retire I can host a reunion class at my lake place in MO.
I have had some amazing classes and students over the years. I am so proud to see my "kids" show off their talents and teach. Phil I now ask the students to almost pledge to teach the Lost Art of Scraping. Pass it on... :))
Most of the students knew what to do, had read about scraping or watched video's, but needed a little push, someone who could show them to get the confidence they were scraping the right way to add to their God gift of mechanical ability. Rich

Back