Setting up my Acra 16x40 lathe - DRO, Tool post, VFD/Controls, & Tooling

slodat

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I bought the lathe as part of a big package deal that included a Haas tool room mill and a lot of tooling for both machines.

The lathe is in nice condition and really dirty. It will clean up well.

6C27985B-ED72-4AE4-8C94-7CA4EFF379BE.jpegD6F29D69-7FC2-46CF-8DB4-36D437CFC0EB.jpeg69FC3310-18AD-49FB-A10D-AE515B3DF35A.jpeg

I want to replace the KDK tool post with an Aloris CXA. I have an import CXA on my American Pacemaker 14x30 and I’d like to standardize on CXA. I have a lot of KDK tool holders, so I’m hoping to sell them and recoup some of the cost of the new Dorian.

C1824C66-1260-42BC-A2D7-B2AA41E4A938.jpeg

I will also be adding a DRO to the lathe. Deep down I love the idea of a 3 axis DRO that has a scale on the compound. I’ve been looking at DRO Pros 3 axis setup. It’s a bit spendy and looks like a really nice setup. I plan to have this lathe a long time and I’d like to get it dialed in and just enjoy using a nice machine.

Lastly, I want to do a VFD control setup like @mksj does.

I welcome input, ideas, feedback, etc.

Last edited:
Just some feedback from me. Very very nice machines. I hope you enjoy them and post the enjoyments you made.

Michael

Thought I had decided to go with an Easson ES-12C. Received this email from DRO Pros this morning.

3185F278-00E6-4C18-9E22-BCA0CE904EFA.jpeg

Now I’m not sure which DRO to go with.. They are out of stock on their EL-400 until March. They have the EL-700 but don’t have scales I’d need until March. Hmm..

Last edited:
Easson is still being sold through DRO UK, another person I spoke to the other day purchased the ES12B setup for his lathe. The newer 2 axis (EL-750/MX-200) appears to be in stock at QMT/PM, you would most likely need the 10x60 size and cut the scales to size. In my previous lathe I used the Igaging DRO Plus on the tailstock for the 3rd axis, you can mount the scale on the back and the reader on the top of the headstock. Other consideration would be to buy the magnetic scales from DRO UK and use Yuri's Tablet DRO interface. I probably would go with the MX-200L at this point if they are still in stock.

Easson is still being sold through DRO UK, another person I spoke to the other day purchased the ES12B setup for his lathe. The newer 2 axis (EL-750/MX-200) appears to be in stock at QMT/PM, you would most likely need the 10x60 size and cut the scales to size. In my previous lathe I used the Igaging DRO Plus on the tailstock for the 3rd axis, you can mount the scale on the back and the reader on the top of the headstock. Other consideration would be to buy the magnetic scales from DRO UK and use Yuri's Tablet DRO interface. I probably would go with the MX-200L at this point if they are still in stock.

Thank you for the info. I’ve read other DRO threads of yours. I really wanted the ES-12C. If they aren’t making it anymore it seems like I should avoid it. These prices are Newall territory. Wondering if I should go that route? I like that DRO Pros are US based, but they have stock issues.

Who makes the PM MX-200L you linked to?

Electronica makes both of the DRO's, they are pretty much the same units between DROPros and QMT/PM looking at the displays and functions. Both are very reputable dealers of equipment, so probably comes down to who has them in stock. You could email DRO UK to inquire if Easson has ceased production on DRO's or just sourcing to the US. Newall DRO's, are still quite expensive and the scales lack 1 um accuracy that is needed for the cross slide. There are some other less expensive brands with magnetic scales, but some people have had problems with the scale resolution/accuracy.

Perfect. Thank you for the info. I’ll have to see what my cross slide travel is when I get home.

I got what I believe to be a good deal on the Dorian CXA 14 piece set from govets.com.

I may have a used Acu-rite in a few minutes if you're interested.

Interesting. PM me info and price?

Back