Setting up my Acra 16x40 lathe - DRO, Tool post, VFD/Controls, & Tooling

Machinery skates made quick work of moving the lathe into place. It will be a bit while I wait for the control components to arrive. I’ll power the lathe up on the static phase converter that came with it tomorrow and see how it runs.

CEEE0A8B-1761-46F3-8683-F57A68BF7E2A.jpeg

I emailed Jo Shepherd at M-Dro in the UK and she replied that Easson is still in business and units are available. Anyone ordering may want to verify but their prices are good. The magnetic scales aren't as nice as the Dro Pro ones but cost is about 60%. Dave

I also emailed them, evidently due to the chip shortage they have temporarily stopped producing some models. Machine DRO in the UK "Easson are still producing DRO's, there have been some changes to models due to chip shortages. Easson only produce optical encoders, we have our own brand M-DRO magnetic encoders that would be compatible with the Easson range". They produce a wide range of measuring systems and have been around for quite awhile, as Dave mentioned, the produce some very nice DRO's at a mid price point. I had the ES-12 on my previous lathe and their ES-12B on my current lathe, they have worked great. I have the Electronica EL-700 on the mill and it also has worked very well, but as mentioned I would use a touch screen protector over the display. Electronica is also the major supplier of magnetic scales, glass scales are still the most common but are bulky, are not adjustable for length, are more susceptible to contamination and alignment issues. Prices have come down on the magnetic scales to make them competitive with glass scales. The cost is in the reader head, evidently the magnetic scale material is the same for different resolutions and only the head is different.

Mark- do you have a link to the screen protector you used?

I believe all of the needed parts for the lathe controls are ordered and on their way. Thankfully I had some of the stuff on hand. Prices on the MTW wire I use have skyrocketed!

The KDK tool post and holders sold quickly and nearly covered the cost of a new Dorian toolpost. It arrived today. The included nut wasn’t as thick as I would like. I will be making another that has more contact. It sounds like a fun, simple project.

B6CEBD61-619D-4147-A62A-9E8732DE9231.jpeg

C6B384B6-F8A3-4E2F-A3D8-73CB49478EED.jpeg

I powered up the lathe with the static phase converter that came with. Machine runs great.

F3155811-5D3D-4B6E-81E0-1BFD042B68E2.jpeg

F15592D8-449E-41D2-BC05-0E566FC22735.jpeg

I’m thinking this will be my last lathe. I can’t see anything it won’t do. It’s funny though.. comparing it to my “smaller” 14x30 Pacemaker and.. there’s just no comparison. With that said, this is a nice machine with features the Pacemaker doesn’t have - reverse, D1 spindle, and metric threading. I’m going to try to raise the tool post on the Pacemaker so I can use tools on both lathes without changing tool height.

I’ve made my way through the tooling that came with the machines. There is a lot! This is the open stock stuff that is beyond what I want to store/keep.

6FD396AE-6065-4D4F-8246-8625FF278D53.jpeg

It’s going to a dear friend. I also gave a box of tooling to the other friend that helped move the machines last week. Cheers!

Couldn’t look at the grime any longer. Started with the lead screw, feed rod, and front of the bed. SO much better. Using WD-40 and a steel wire brush (toothbrush style). It’s going to clean up nicely.

B5ADF8B2-1372-4DC9-B90E-D9ECB0259CA5.jpeg

D8902909-D722-4BA4-8DFF-2ECC3A23EA87.jpeg

Big improvement, wondered if it had a hard life or just never cleaned, looks like the latter. You should have no shortage of air, that air compressor flows some serious CFM. I have their HR5-8, been very happy with it, consider their V4 compressor but did not need the additional CFM.

The flaking from the factory scraping is there. He used cutting oil. The stuff is just awful… with one major saving grace. Everything I’ve cleaned up that was covered in dried up cutting oil has been well preserved. This lathe looks the same. It’s going to clean up and be a solid ten footer. The nooks and crannies will not be worth extensive effort.

That compressor is awesome. It’s a 15hp pump coupled to a 7.5hp motor spinning half speed. Portland Compressor does them ordered to this specification. For a reciprocating compressor it’s rather quiet and it’s plenty of air for my needs.

It took most of the day, and the lathe is clean.. enough. It was nasty. I used purple degreaser and WD-40. It worked well and I didn't remove the paint in the process. Everything is now coated in way oil. I don't plan on using the coolant pump. Will most likely install a Fog Buster. I have one on the Tree CNC mill and I really like it. I did flush hot water through the coolant system until it came out clean ish. It has some Kool Mist in the sump in the off chance I decide to use it later. Should prevent it all rusting.

The lathe is in really good condition. On to the next project... which will probably be cleaning the grease and grime off the floor in front of the lathe.

E75180BA-774C-437D-90B6-95A037BEE26C.jpeg

75B69B44-2A8F-46F0-8DE1-1B80DADA0FBF.jpeg

858C97D5-7FE0-4B85-9E8F-820F5809E4D3.jpeg

E38BBD5F-6740-439D-9C80-74B7619C2EC2.jpeg

Back