Shaky start

I think I'm closer to square, but may still be off height too. T 100 blade @ 500 RPM, set square, and height using the point of the dead center, and 1-2-3 block between the holder, and chuck. Right near center it does not want to advance, but with pressure it drops the piece with the nub on it. Just eyeballing with the machinist square, it's not completely flat.

... is there a holder that would meet your criteria?

Not that I know of but there probably is one out there. I suggest you make one. It just has to present your blade horizontal and hold the body of the blade vertical. Maybe you and I can discuss it in a PM.

Can you share the outcome?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re the cutoff tool holder, I believe Mikey is referring to one like this for horizontally mounting the blade.
1579572228390.png
Available from lots of places, I got mine from littlemachineshop.com, but it is for 0XA size toolpost. I think yours is bigger. Be careful to get the right size if you order one. I'm not sure if LMS carries larger ones than mine or not.

A quick question concerning your unsquare cuts, are you locking the carriage when you part off? If not, it can drift during the part, usually causing a convex face on the part left behind. Don't ask me how I know that.

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks for showing that, the carriage was locked I'm sure I'll find something I missed though. The machine is doing what it's set up to do by the operator. I'm sneaking up on it though.

Re the cutoff tool holder, I believe Mikey is referring to one like this for horizontally mounting the blade.
View attachment 311274
Available from lots of places, I got mine from littlemachineshop.com, but it is for 0XA size toolpost. I think yours is bigger. Be careful to get the right size if you order one. I'm not sure if LMS carries larger ones than mine or not.

A quick question concerning your unsquare cuts, are you locking the carriage when you part off? If not, it can drift during the part, usually causing a convex face on the part left behind. Don't ask me how I know that.

Tom

Yeah, that's what I mean, Tom. Problem is finding one to fit an AXA or BXA tool post. I've not seen one to fit smaller parting blades like the 1/2" high tools I prefer. Making one is the only option and perhaps a better one because we can make the part that holds the blade much more rigid.

I think I'm closer to square, but may still be off height too. T 100 blade @ 500 RPM, set square, and height using the point of the dead center, and 1-2-3 block between the holder, and chuck. Right near center it does not want to advance, but with pressure it drops the piece with the nub on it. Just eyeballing with the machinist square, it's not completely flat.

if you cant get perfectly center cheat down its better to be below center then above on parting but get as close as you can as far as sq cheat your clearance so the part you want to save is sq if you cant get dead on give the good part extra clearance and take a second pass on the other if you have done a couple and are happy with your center and side to side clearance use auto feed consistent feed can produce a better part then a beginners feel sometimes

If you’re having to apply excess pressure to get the part to drop off, your blade is probably too high and you’re breaking the part off instead of cutting it. The way I tell if my blade is dead on center is to take a very shallow facing cut with it and see if it leaves a nub. If it does, it’s not centered.

Also, don't trust the holder to be square with the blade. It may or may not be, depending on how closely the blade and holder mate. Set the blade itself square to the chuck. Above all, don't despair. You're doing well.

Tom

Looks like they worked out great

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Back