Shaky start

MC, and Tom, I do believe your right. I messed with an insert cutter doing some facing, and fine tuned the nub out, now to tune the parting blade the same :encourage:

need to practice my squaring, I've tried the work face, and squaring off of the chuck face with the blade.

Mike , with your toolpost snug but not locked , square up the holder against the chuck jaw faces . This will square your post and future tools .

Also, don't trust the holder to be square with the blade. It may or may not be, depending on how closely the blade and holder mate.

I was going to mention this as well. Generally, I use a machinist's square on the compound to ensure the QCTP is at 90 deg to the compound (which I keep parallel to the ways). With that particular parting tool holder, however I have noticed that the tool is at a small (5 degree?) angle to the right, so the tool is not square even when the toolholder is. If you have a small enough square, you can put the square on the work and align the tool against the square, or you can align the tool against the face of the chuck (as everyone seems to do) or against the end of the work that you have presumably already faced.

To the OP. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but that installation looks like it's in an engine bay. Given that the tank is a mass on a flexible mount, engine vibration will likely cause the tank tabs or radiator flange to work-harden and crack. Best to keep an eye on it.

Thank you, I'll be watchful for that.....

I used a chuck bubble level, and the results were a little better. I manually fed the cut off, and dropped the piece with a .040 nub. I did a second part advancing very slowly in the center, and the nub was .020. Just doing a 1/2 blade width facing cut made a smooth face, but I noticed it still was shaving a little coming out, and going back in without making any adjustments. What is causing that, and do I chase the height more, or is the nub situation within tolerance?

I used a chuck bubble level, and the results were a little better. I manually fed the cut off, and dropped the piece with a .040 nub. I did a second part advancing very slowly in the center, and the nub was .020. Just doing a 1/2 blade width facing cut made a smooth face, but I noticed it still was shaving a little coming out, and going back in without making any adjustments. What is causing that, and do I chase the height more, or is the nub situation within tolerance?
Likely the parting blade is flexing a bit when facing, which I would expect. Its thin.
Yes i would chase the height to get no nub.

Last edited:
I see Joe P promoting a face to the parting blade to bias the drop. I'll have to see how that is received.

Back