Shop tool and machine inventory application

frankly2

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
i have been looking for an app to catalog my entire shop. Have any of you gentlemen found a way to take care of your shop listings ?
I have found many inventory app‘s but none friendly to a machine environment, any suggestions ??
So many items and tooling to track and category that most of the inventory app’s don’t have the capability to categorize !

Have you looked into maintenance management apps? Those usually have pretty good asset tracking features. I only have experience with expensive corporate level programs, so don’t have any recommendations for apps.

I have to track my business assets for my town tax, but I use Microsoft Excel for things like that. Google has a spreadsheet and there is the Number app on my iPad that is similar if you don’t have Excel. You can create any category you want with drop down choices, create filters to only show what you want, etc. I use that to track which assets I have, when acquired, cost of acquisition, category, etc. It would be a bit of work setting it up, but infinitely customizable to your needs.

A database is what you (& I) need, basically a card file that is searchable. Unfortunately, there are no inexpensive options. A spreadsheet works since you can search it, you just need to include as much information as possible - item, details, location, etc.).

Have you looked into maintenance management apps? Those usually have pretty good asset tracking features. I only have experience with expensive corporate level programs, so don’t have any recommendations for apps.

I have to track my business assets for my town tax, but I use Microsoft Excel for things like that. Google has a spreadsheet and there is the Number app on my iPad that is similar if you don’t have Excel. You can create any category you want with drop down choices, create filters to only show what you want, etc. I use that to track which assets I have, when acquired, cost of acquisition, category, etc. It would be a bit of work setting it up, but infinitely customizable to your needs.
If I knew how to use EXCELL that would be great, however……..
I have spent so much time trying to read MS excel manual but find it so complicated I have given up trying !
The tutorial is also quite difficult. Seems an old dog can’t learn new tricks !
Also tried to use Access to generate a data base but failed at that also !

If I knew how to use EXCELL that would be great, however……..
I have spent so much time trying to read MS excel manual but find it so complicated I have given up trying !
The tutorial is also quite difficult. Seems an old dog can’t learn new tricks !
Also tried to use Access to generate a data base but failed at that also !
Yes, it does have a steep learning curve, and they seem to constantly change how to do things.

Funny thing, I have been using Excel and LibreOffice Calc for years and still only use it for basic listing.

I include Manufacturer, item description, model, Net, VAT, Net+Vat, Quantity, Carriage (shipping), Sub total, Total VAT, Grand total, which is based on quantity. This can also be worked to give a value for individual costs of a multi item listing, much as I do with my carbide inserts. I know how much each insert costs and thus how much I have spent using them individually as well as overall. I can also track how many I have left, simply by updating the quantity remaining in the sheet.

At the bottom of each sheet, a total for each column gives a value by using a calculation that covers a specific "range" of cells.

The " =sum( ) " is an easy enough tool in excel / LibreOffice Calc. You can work calculate the value of two cells to create a total, or, use a Range of cells to get a total.

For Example =sum(A3:A12) will calculate the total sum of the values in Cells A3 through A12.
For Example =sum(b1*c1)/d1 will multiply Cell B1 by Cell C1, then divide that total by Cell D1.
For Example =sum(a3:a12)+150 will calculate the total sum of the values in cells A3 through A12 then add 150 to the total.

It is also simple enough to get a "Main Overview" sheet with total values for each sheet using a combined sheet and cell reference. It will Auto update the referenced sheet cell if the reference cell from the referenced sheet is updated.

Note: The * (star) symbol is used as the "multiply" symbol for some reason,
The / (Forward stroke) Symbol is used for for division.

all other calc symbols are as you would expect being either "+" for addition, or "-" for subtraction.

Last edited:
I know it's ridiculous but since I'm a flea market junkie I made my inventory lists in my Note app so I can search specific things on my phone when I find them for sale.

I have a complete inventory of my drills, lathe and milling inserts, taps, reamers, face and internal grooving tools, cemented carbide lathe bits, annular cutters, boring bars, woodruff key cutters, raw material stock, and a rolling list of bolts and screws I need.

I, in the past used an app called “Thingventory” . I had all of my rolling tool box inventory on that app. Now that the rolling box has been turned into a shop however, the app will not work in my new ipad or win 10 desktop. That said, I need to look for another application to inventory my shop and supplies.
Still struggle with Excel and the Access data base programs. They are much more complicated complex. !
I need something simpler due to my level of expertise !

Back