Shop tool and machine inventory application

Google Sheet might work and is vastly simpler than excel. I actually prefer excel but my learning curve flattened out decades ago with that.

Tim

Yes, well, Google already have enough of peoples personal and private data/information, I refuse to give them anymore of my data than they may already have compiled.

Years ago I developed an OpenOffice inventory database for my woodworking business and have since moved it to LibreOffice. I built it from scratch, so it's rather simple. It's scalable and SQL compatible. If you already have a spreadsheet going, it's trivial to use that spreadsheet as a "table" which allows other functions to build on it. And after all these years, I STILL don't have all the inventory listed. It gets to be a lot and pretty overwhelming, even if limited to capital assets. I attempted last year to capture 10 pictures a week enter the particulars before the next week. It helped to have such small steps.
The database is a split database so the engine (HSQLDB) and the data are separate, but both come with LibreOffice installation. The front end (GUI interface) can be directed to any other database engine that meets the communication standards, which is most of them. The whole thing is then operated from and stored in a single folder (with sub folders) so it's trivial to back it up. I've set up all the fields necessary for a complete accounting of inventory through queries and reports. There are fields to store up to four photos with each item. It's not professionally developed but it represents a LOT of hours of learning and is easily customizable by anyone with minimal skills.

Screenshot_20240227_143349.png

I'd be happy to share this stripped of my data, so you'd have the structure. There would be steps to take to use it on your machine, like register the database with your installation of Libre Office. There is no cloud involved. There is no cost anywhere, and no promises about it working in your environment, though Libre Office works on most OS and is open source.
DanK

I made a simple spreadsheet with Google (it's always on the cloud, requires no backup and is 100% fireproof)
Item, manufacturer, date acquired, price paid, current value, serial number, vendor and misc. I also take photos uploaded to Google photo.

It's not perfect, but it's free and I haven't found a decent database that's easy and inexpensive. I have no idea why Google doesn't have a simple database.

In discussions with insurance folks, I found that the *features* of the item are as important as the make and model. The example given to me is that if your house burns down and you list a toaster, you'll get the cheapest possible $8 WalMart toaster. If you give a make and model, you'll get that make and model, if it's still made. If not, you need to go by features - so my mill is listed in as "3hp, 3 phase, variable speed via Reeves drive, 52" x 9" table, 36" of X travel, 12" Y travel... power feed quill (at 0.0015", 0.003" or 0.006 ipr), power feed X axis and all the other important things I could list. If my shop burns down, it'll cost $15-20,000 to replace it and I do not want the insurance company to try and replace it with a Harbor Freight mill/drill.

@frankly2
I just use EXCEL.
I'm not surprised that you find the MS documentation frustrating. I don't think useful user manuals have existed for 30+ years. You need to know the correct nomenclature to find the info you want. If you never knew, or have forgotten the jargon . . . :bang head:
However, have you tried "EXCELL for DUMMIES? The "for DUMMIES" books have helped many.
Another, not lesser, option is to check with your local library(s) for available training/help resources. If they don't have any, they might direct you to Parks and Recreation or other local resources that might. Last, but not least, is local schools.

Years ago I developed an OpenOffice inventory database for my woodworking business and have since moved it to LibreOffice. I built it from scratch, so it's rather simple. It's scalable and SQL compatible. If you already have a spreadsheet going, it's trivial to use that spreadsheet as a "table" which allows other functions to build on it. And after all these years, I STILL don't have all the inventory listed. It gets to be a lot and pretty overwhelming, even if limited to capital assets. I attempted last year to capture 10 pictures a week enter the particulars before the next week. It helped to have such small steps.
The database is a split database so the engine (HSQLDB) and the data are separate, but both come with LibreOffice installation. The front end (GUI interface) can be directed to any other database engine that meets the communication standards, which is most of them. The whole thing is then operated from and stored in a single folder (with sub folders) so it's trivial to back it up. I've set up all the fields necessary for a complete accounting of inventory through queries and reports. There are fields to store up to four photos with each item. It's not professionally developed but it represents a LOT of hours of learning and is easily customizable by anyone with minimal skills.

View attachment 480338

I'd be happy to share this stripped of my data, so you'd have the structure. There would be steps to take to use it on your machine, like register the database with your installation of Libre Office. There is no cloud involved. There is no cost anywhere, and no promises about it working in your environment, though Libre Office works on most OS and is open source.
DanK
Would love to have a copy of this.

My professional life has consisted of many, many hours trying to eliminate Excel spreadsheets which are mistakenly used as databases. How many have seen what happens when an Excel spreadsheet exceeds the maximum size by 1k? How many have seen a grown man cry when the past 10 years of customer defect data he's meticulously compiled into Excel are completely gone and unrecoverable?

@Dan Krager, have you open sourced your work? Built on Libre Office I'm not sure what the implications are but if you're willing to share I'm very interested.

John

My professional life has consisted of many, many hours trying to eliminate Excel spreadsheets which are mistakenly used as databases. How many have seen what happens when an Excel spreadsheet exceeds the maximum size by 1k? How many have seen a grown man cry when the past 10 years of customer defect data he's meticulously compiled into Excel are completely gone and unrecoverable?

@Dan Krager, have you open sourced your work? Built on Libre Office I'm not sure what the implications are but if you're willing to share I'm very interested.

John
What John says :)

John
I see you ragging on EXCEL but I don't see your professional recommendation (for use by a non-professional).

It seems that EXCEL can handle 2GB workbook file size. That's a good number to remember.

If I were to do inventory management from scratch, I would just use Google Sheets. As someone mentioned, it is in the cloud so therefore accessable from anywhere with an internet connection.
As far as Google have my info, I could care less. So they find out that I have woodworking and metalworking equipment. I don't think they are going to come and steal my stuff.

Another option is to videotape or take pictures of everything. It all could be stored via Google Photos.

I see you ragging on EXCEL but I don't see your professional recommendation (for use by a non-professional).

It seems that EXCEL can handle 2GB workbook file size. That's a good number to remember.
Sorry you take it that way.

Feel free to use whatever program you like. But as an IT professional my job was to protect the information my company depends on.

Excel is a great program for analysis but it’s not designed to be a database. If it were Microsoft wouldn’t need to offer database software and tools to connect Excel to SQL.

The file size limit has probably grown since 1999 when I was called to try and recover that spreadsheet. Microsoft was consulted at the time but there was nothing to be done. Data lost, and they didn’t have a usable backup. Made a big impression on me then.

John

Back