Shops that grind ways in New England

wfournier

Registered
Registered
Wondering if there are any shops that grind lathe ways in New England? I'm considering have some work done on a lathe I picked up cheep enough I don't mind putting a little work into making it just right (48in bed Clausing with hardened ways). Most of the shops I've seen mentioned are in the midwest it seems. I got a quote from one if NJ for $1500, Forest City said $350-500. Hoping to find something closer to the Forest City price closer to home.

Interested @wfournier; please keep thread updated with what you find.

I have a lathe that is a worn just enough that you can feel it tighten up a tiny bit on the TS side when moving across the full 48". Not worth big bucks, but in the $500 range would be worth contemplating as part as a full restoration.

I haven’t used them yet, but Cavco in New Milford CT I believe does way grinding. Should only be an hour and a half-ish drive for you from Granby.

Thanks, I actually gave them a call yesterday, the person I needed to talk to wasn't in so they asked me to email them. I haven't heard back yet, I'll give it a few days and then try again.

Sounds like you and I are in a similar boat. I'm just looking at having the cross slide done, because my bed ways have relatively less wear. Here are the shops I've tried:

Pfeffer Machine, Meyerstown PA - quoted $5000 to grind the cross slide ways
Cavco, New Milford CT - Called, was directed to email Jim since he wasn't by the phone, no response to email
Schmiede, Tullahoma TN - Called, the rep was very helpful. Quoted $1000 to grind cross slide ways
Daniluk, Oklahoma City, OK - Called, they don't do small machines, but they recommended KC Machine in Kansas City
KC Machine - I haven't reached out yet Edit 9/25/22: KC Machine no longer grinds ways

Over in my thread, Dave suggested Norman Machine Tool in Baltimore. He's not sure if they do way grinding, and I haven't called them yet. Richard King also pointed me to one of his students, but he's too busy to take on the project in the foreseeable future. Edit 9/25/22: Norman Machine Tool does not grind or scrape ways.

What was the outfit in Forest City? In my case, the saddle and cross slide are small enough to economically ship. Good luck, and keep us posted on your journey.

Last edited:
Forrest City Grinding, 4844 Stenstrom Rd, Rockford, IL 61109 (815) 874-2424

I saw them mentioned I think in a thread on PM with at least one person indicating they had had good luck with them, I don't have any personal experience other than to say they were very helpful on the phone.

Sounds like you and I are in a similar boat. I'm just looking at having the cross slide done, because my bed ways have relatively less wear. Here are the shops I've tried:

Pfeffer Machine, Meyerstown PA - quoted $5000 to grind the cross slide ways
Cavco, New Milford CT - Called, was directed to email Jim since he wasn't by the phone, no response to email
Schmiede, Tullahoma TN - Called, the rep was very helpful. Quoted $1000 to grind cross slide ways
Daniluk, Oklahoma City, OK - Called, they don't do small machines, but they recommended KC Machine in Kansas City
KC Machine - I haven't reached out yet

Over in my thread, Dave suggested Norman Machine Tool in Baltimore. He's not sure if they do way grinding, and I haven't called them yet. Richard King also pointed me to one of his students, but he's too busy to take on the project in the foreseeable future.

What was the outfit in Forest City? In my case, the saddle and cross slide are small enough to economically ship. Good luck, and keep us posted on your journey.
Wow,
$4,000 difference for the same operation. I know the set up is most of the time involved. I think the Meyerstown shop didn't want the job.
I would think the freight would be significant if you couldn't deliver and pick up.

Looking at options further it's looking like freight might be reasonable if I drop off and pick up at the terminal using YRC (any experience with them?). Based on what I estimating the size of the crate and weight would be I getting quotes for under $150 each way. Still not cheap but looking like the most affordable option.

I just remembered that Moglice.com in Philadelphia area has a way grinder. Cody my friend told me they started up their own rebuild shop so he wouldn't have to travel so much.

I just remembered that Moglice.com in Philadelphia area has a way grinder. Cody my friend told me they started up their own rebuild shop so he wouldn't have to travel so much.

Thanks Richard, I spoke with him yesterday and just sent him an email with some more details.

Back